0 Experience Program

I was under the impression that I could join the “From 0 Experience” program without a Private Pilots License and earn that certificate through the program. I just had a conversation with one of the admissions advisor that left me confused on that point. Can anybody Clarify?

Brody,

ATP does offer a program from zero experience. The issue is that since the word got out there’s a pilot shortage and pilots can get paid very well, overnight, EVERYBODY and their second cousin suddenly realized they’ve “always dreamed of being a pilot”, which is fine.

The problem is, although ATP is the largest flight school in the country with over 80 locations, due to record applications, slots have been very competitive to get. The other problem is sadly not everyone that wants to fly can or should. While flying isn’t rocket science, it does take a level of intelligence and coordination that not everyone has. Put the two together and you have a situation where ATP wants some indication an applicant will be successful (they don’t want to waste your time and money) which isn’t that easy to ascertain. If the person already has their PPL there’s at least some evidence the person will be successful.

With that all in mind, sans some seriously strong items on your application, they will ask for a PPL for admission.

Adam

Brody,

Yes, that program is available to select individuals who meet ATP’s criteria. For whatever reason, they want to see you get a PPL first before considering you for entry into their program. This is commonly done and is really a way to see how well you do with flight training and if it is right for you.

Chris

Hey Brody, ATP admissions here!

Unfortunately, the zero time program maintains a highly competitive acceptance rate and ATP suggests that obtaining a Private Pilot’s License (PPL) first, can significantly enhance your chances of acceptance upon reapplication. This strategic approach not only increases your success rate but also better prepares you for our full immersion program.

Acquiring a Private Pilot’s License (PPL) is a pivotal achievement that establishes a solid foundation for success in advanced flight training. The skills, knowledge, and confidence gained through PPL training not only enhance safety but also contribute to a more efficient and successful aviation experience.

Should you have any further questions or require additional information, feel free to give us a call at your convenience so that we may better assist you. ATP Admissions is available M-F 8am-7pm EST and our phone number is 904-595-7950.

Brody,

Without much context here, what did Admissions tell you? You have me confused because I’m not sure what they told you.

ATP has TWO entry points, Zero Time and Credit Private. ATP is extremely competitive to get into; hence, the requirements and interviews they do. ATP wants to ensure you are going to succeed their ACPP; furthermore, have a good investment in your career. Not finishing the program or dropping out after a short period is a HEAVY investment and can be a bear to many.

Brady

I was told that, even for the Zero Time entry point, I should have my PPL before applying. This is what confused me, because up until I had that conversation I’d been under the impression that “Zero Time” meant that it was a program designed for students that didn’t have their PPL.

Brody,

Are you looking to attend one of ATP’s locations that you MUST have the PPL prior to starting? That would be the only reason I would think an ATP Admissions representative would tell you, “I should have my PPL before applying.”

Brady

No. I live in Washington State and we don’t have any facilities here that offer the Zero Experience program, but I had been planning to move to either Colorado Springs or Houston for training specifically because I don’t have a PPL.

Brody,

The zero time program is for students that ATP has deemed are eligible, in your case they would like to see you get a PPL first.

Chris