1 st step

Hello. So I’ll just straight get to the point. I was wondering to get an aerospace engineering degree before starting off being a pilot. Does getting a degree bring me one step ahead? Will I be more competitive? Will local or maybe others country offer fully funded cadet programmes? I have financial issue so the only thing I can do now is to get an outstanding result and continue to get a scholarship to continue getting a degree in aerospace engineering. Maybe this way I can get fully funded programmes offers or maybe speeding up in the flight training, perhaps?

Brandon,

While you’ll need a degree to get hired at a Major in the US the requirements vary in other countries. The Majors in the US want a degree but it’s a prerequisite and will not make you anymore hirable or attractive as a candidate. As for scholarships the answer has not changed as there are none available in the US. My advice has not changed so I will repeat my first recommendation and that would be for you to contact the airlines in your country (Malaysia Airlines) and get information from them regarding their cadet program and their requirements.

Adam

1 Like

Brandon,
I am an amateur pilot but i have been told by many pilots not to “eat and sleep aviation” meaning if you do get a degree, preferably it not be in aviation because its not going to put you ahead. Rather get a degree in something else like business, construction science, etc… This is because if something goes wrong in the aviation industry you’re not stuck in it and you have something to fall back on. I could be wrong but many pilots have told me the same thing.

1 Like

But isn’t getting a degree in aircraft engineering different from flying an aircraft as a pilot?
If things do happen I still have a major in engineering in the future right?

Sure Brandon.

I say study what you like and if it’s aviation engineering study that. As you said even if you don’t fly you could have a career doing that. It’s all good.

Adam

1 Like

I think it would more apply to somthing like UNDs Commercial Aviation Degree. Yes it’s a 4 year degree but where could you apply that outside of avaiation. A aviation business degree is still a business degree just with an emphasis on airline business.