1000 hours requirement for upgrades

Hi, I am an ATP Pilot flying for 32 years, I’ve started in Brazil and flew for Varig for 20 years and after they closed down I’ve moved to China. I’ve worked there for 12 years and now, after 4 ATP licenses in 4 countries, including FAA ATP 737 Rated, I am resident in the US, flying for an US charter company. My question is, after +20,000 hours, +13,000 as 737 captain I still need 1000 hours to be upgraded as per - Pilot Qualification: Certificates and experience requirements 14 CFR § 121.436?

Samuel,

I am not sure I understand your question, what do you mean by “1,000 hours”? It sounds like you already have significantly more than 1,000 hours to me. Do you mean 1,000 hours in type?

Either way, every company has different Ops Specs, I would consult with your company on this.

Chris

1 Like

Samuel,

That’s an interesting question but yes based on the wording of the FAR it does sound like you would, IF, the company you’re flying for is Part 121. That said with all that time I’m thinking there might be a waiver somewhere.

Best bet is contacting the FAA directly.

Adam

1 Like

Hi Chris, thank you for your help.
Yes, I have total of more than 18,000 hours as an Airline pilot, FO and Capt.

Please search Google for: 14 CFR § 121.436 - Pilot Qualification and upgrade

I tried to copy and past but the site blocks it.
Samuel

Dear Adam, thank you

I know two guys that didn’t met this requirements and were upgraded on 121 flying companies and I am still looking for where this is possible.

Samuel

Samuel,

The issue will be that the 1,000 hours needs to be US part 121 time. If you cannot get an exception, you will need to meet that requirement.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks Chris,
I know some guys who got an exception and were upgraded without any US 121 time, and they are flying for US companies as captains. I think they got it because they have similar 121 (Not US) time from somewhere and it was accepted and recognized. Now my question is: How to get such an exception? Is there a way (or a rule) of converting ICAO 121 time into US 121 time? Or airline and type similar experience got somewhere else being recognized by FAA?
Samuel

Samuel,

You will really need to work with your airline and the FAA on this. Everybody has different op specs and it could very well be up to your POI to grant the exemption or not.

I would also recommend asking the guys you know that got the exemption.

Chris

1 Like