17 years old in high school

I’m 17 years old on my last year of high school, got into a college to major as a pilot. I want to become a commercial pilot but I’m not sure if I should start flight school now to save time during college because I know I need a certain amount of flying hours.

Jeremy,

Your call but we generally advise against it. Both college and flight training require a lot of time and focus and if you do both often one will suffer. You’re young and have time. Much better to focus on school, do well and then dive into the flight training after.

Adam

Would you recommend for me to start gathering information now and possibly start school during vacation in the summer?

Jeremy,

Again up to you but there’s a reason the military and the airlines train every day and go through the entire program rather than break it up. Flight skills are built one upon another and by doing so you advance much quicker (and cheaper) than piecing a program together. Now if you wanted to bang out your Private one summer, Instrument the next etc there’s nothing wrong with that but you really won’t be saving much time and again your training will be somewhat inconsistent. Particularly if you can’t maintain your skills during the school year.

Adam

Jeremy,

I agree with Adam. It’s best to do your flight training separate from college with the least amount of breaks in between. If you want to get into an airplane as fast as possible, you’re better off taking college classes over summer to graduate early. You’re also very young. If you wanted to enjoy your summers like most college students, you’d be fine too. College only happens once, for most. Don’t forget to enjoy it (responsibly of course).

Tory