1st class medical after 40

Hi,. I have scheduled the 1st class medical.
Since I am over 40, would I have to renew it every 6 months?

Thank you

Reka,

If you want/need to retain First Class privileges you do. If not after 6mos it’ll revert to a Second Class, after 12mos to a Third and will expire after 24mos.

Adam

1 Like

To be a commercial pilot you will need 1st class correct?

Hi Reka!

To be a commercial pilot you will need to maintain a 2nd Class. To be an airline pilot you will need to maintain a 1st Class.

Tory

1 Like

Reka,
As a private pilot you only need to maintain third class privileges. As a commercial pilot you can let it fall to second class privileges so that means after the 6 months it will degrade to second class privileges and then third class after that… It will save you some money renewing unnecessarily. However to work for a regional airline, you will have to maintain first class privileges and renew every 6 months.
-Hannah

2 Likes

Reka,

To fly for an airline you need a First but you only need a Third to do your training. We always encourage people to get their First Class as the requirements are far more stringent and you want to make certain you can get one before making a huge investment in training, only to find out you can’t.

Adam

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts, thank you

Thank you per our conversation yesterday, I have made my appointment just to clear any doubts and move forward with my game plan. Thank you

1 Like

Reka,

As an airline pilot, you will need to renew it every six months. The standards are less stringent for student pilots and corporate pilots.

Chris

1 Like