1st Class Medical Questions

Nick,

The average in PHX is around $100, let me know if you need any names.

Yarden

If you know of some in the Scottsdale area that are $100 Iā€™d be interested. Iā€™m in the north east valley.

It was already said, but it varies a lot! But for example I am new to training and took my first one last week for first class and it was only $100. And I think it depends what health insurance you have, I have kaiser for example and couldnā€™t use that (they donā€™t have AMEā€™s). But some accept Blue cross/blue shield or others.

And it is for 12 months, unfortunately it is not cheap to be a pilot haha.

Also, yes if you join the military they will pay for a lot of it, but just so you know, the military is a lot more strict with what you have to do with the physical

Nick,

[This is the guy I go to. He is in Mesa and he charges $100 for the 1st class.
Dr. Raniolo is another one that I know a lot go to, he is closer to Scottsdale I think.

Yarden

Hey Guys,

I went to a local AME the other day and he said that my everything checked out except for my history of smoking marijuana. He knew this from the form that I had to fill out, and when he read that I had a history of that, he didnā€™t know what to do. He said he would have to call the FAA and figure out how they want to proceed. So my medical certificate has been deferred. Do you know if that will be a problem getting my 1st Class Medical with a history of smoking. I have been clean for the past year 1/2 and would be happy to submit a drug test for the FAA.

-Brandon

Brandon,

That is an interesting one, you have entered unchartered territory on this one. Do you have past convictions for illicit drug use or did you just admit to having previously used drugs? I donā€™t think that the FAA is going to be as concerned about seeing one negative test as they are about a history of abuse. FYI, certain methods of testing can go back further than six months.

Aviation is an industry that has zero tolerance for drug and alcohol abuse. Hopefully you will be able to get this resolved soon.

Chris

Brandon,

Youā€™re going to have to see what the AME comes up with on this? Iā€™m curious myself. Please keep us informed.

Adam

Chris and Adam,

I have never been convicted for drug abuse, I just admitted that I had used it in the past. I know that the hair sample tests can show up to a year back, and like I said, would be more than happy to submit for one. Thanks for the input.

And Iā€™ll definitely keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon,

I did some basic research into this and it seems that your case will be determined by the Federal Air Surgeon. From what I can tell it looks like this individual has wide latitude to approve or deny medicals in situations like this.

When did your doctor say that he would get back with you on this?

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your resposnse. The AME said I would be contacted by the FAA via mail within two weeks, and they would let me know how they want to proceed. I appreciate the insight guys.

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon,

At least the wait wonā€™t be too long, fingers crossed for a good response.

Chris

Hey guys,

So I finally received a letter from the FAA yesterday, and this is what they said: I have 48 hours to submit a drug screen from a certified clinic. They also said I have 60 days to submit a letter with a variety of information, including a detailed description of my past use of drugs and a sincere account of becoming sober.

Brandon

Brandon,

That sounds like very encouraging news. Are you planning on complying with their requests?

Chris

Sounds fair to me?

Adam

It does sound fair, and yes, Chris, I already started writing the letter.

Brandon

Brandon,

My concern is the time frame on the testing. When the FAA says 48 hours they mean exactly that, not even 48:01. They can be real sticklers for time frames, especially in this area.

Chris

Yeah, it wasnā€™t a problem for me though. I received their 48 hour noticed and went down the next day to get it done. I called an FAA rep when I learned it would take a few days for the results, and she said that the FAA doesnā€™t need the results right away, they just needed proof that I took the drug test within 48 hours of the notice.

Good. Hopefully this his will all be behind you soon.

Now that drug testing is out in the table for this conversation, I thought I might as well ask if ATP Flight School drug tests its students? Iā€™m assuming they definately make their instructors pass a drug screening test?

Thomas,

Perhaps things have changed but I donā€™t recall ever getting tested when I was there? That said since youā€™re required to have a First Class Medical AND all FAA medicals include a drug test I guess they sort of do.

Adam