28 Years Old and Considering a Career Change

Hello!
As the title mentions, I’m thinking about a career change at 28 years old. About a year ago I took a discovery flight and completed my PPL last month. On one hand, I have a relatively solid career in the making. I’m a project manager at a very solid construction company. We’re in an industry that’s very recession proof. On the other hand, I’ve been bitten hard by the aviation bug.

Here’s the facts:

• Current Salary: $70,000
  • Family: Wife and 1yr old child
  • License: PPL w/ 60 Hrs
  • Home with mortgage
  • Some savings

Here’s my concerns:

• Relocation: With a new family and some deep roots in Pennsylvania; my wife and I aren’t interested in relocation. We’re well rooted I PA.
  • Financial Sacrifice: I’ve read that completing my instrument, commercial and obtaining my hours will take about 1.5 - 2 years. Living on savings isn’t really an options. My wife doesn’t make enough to support us; especially with a child.

My biggest question is “What can I expect the next 5 years of pay to look like? Year by year, what would pay look like for a 250hr and beyond pilot?”

James,

Congratulations on the PPL.

As for the relocation, you could very easily rebased in PHL or the NYC area someday. If those bases work for you, you will be good to go. NYC would be a long drive, but it is still better than commuting via airplane.

Take a look at the articles for more information about instructor and airline pilot pay. Bear in mind that if you do not attend ATP, you will also not work there, so the instructor pay could be different:

https://airlinepilot.life/t/how-much-does-a-flight-instructor-earn/8061/

https://airlinepilot.life/t/what-do-pilots-really-earn/16495/

James,

I was EWR based for many years and knew many pilots who commuted from Harrisburg and Philly. Not fun in the winter but def doable.

Chris gave you some links to pay which should give you a good idea of what you’re in for but in short you’ll def be taking a pay cut for the first 4-5. For sure it’s a sacrifice but this job also gives you the opportunity to earn over $350k.

Adam