50+ looking to start in 2022?

Roger that! Thanks my man, see you at the tarmac stops sometime!

Hi Michael!

It makes me happy to see how excited you are about taking your first steps towards a career in aviation.

For guidance on taking the written exams early: Get Ahead By Taking FAA Knowledge Tests Before Starting ATP / ATP Flight School

I also just want to point out that taking the written exams ahead of time is optional. There is enough time to complete all tests during the program. I would not delay your start date just to get the written tests done beforehand unless you already know that you canā€™t start any sooner because of any prior commitments.

If you do have commitments that prevent you from starting sooner, then by all means. Taking the written tests ahead of the program is a great way to make good use of the time that you have.

Welcome to the forum!

Tory

Thank you Tory, I will look over the given links. Iā€™m just waiting for ā€˜21 to end and start fresh in ā€˜22. I will start to get my ā€˜ducks in a rowā€™ over next 30 days, then in Jan. look to do loan/med cert etc.

Yes, Iā€™m glad to know that there is still a flicker in the old incinerator! Haha

You and everyone on this site have been a wealth of knowledge, hope and enlightenment! If there was only a similar forum for ā€˜lifeā€™ and itā€™s ups and downs!

To all, Happy Holidays, Safe Travels and may 2022 be the best yet to come for all! Enjoy those sunsets! I do everyday and cannot wait until I see them from a different perspective!

-Michael

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget the sunrises! I took this one just last week.

Adam

3 Likes

Living the dream Adam! I will be right there soon enough!

Michael,

I would recommend starting the process of getting your medical now. Some of these guys can really book out far in advance.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

Michael,

Welcome to the forums! Iā€™m always late to these parties, I just adopted the title of Lead Instructor at Trenton and what I can say is that everyone hit everything 100%. The program is an accelerated for the reason of our commitment to provide the most efficient path to successful airline pilot careers. I would be calling an AME and getting scheduled for a medical to ensure that you would qualify for a First Class Medical without delays (this is also a prereq to start at ATP). Weā€™re already seeing an increase in wind component, thankfully we have intersecting runways so if the wind component is high on the ā€œprimaryā€ runway, TWR will let us smaller guys take the crossing runway while the Airbus, Challenger and Gulfstream jets are landing the crosswind.

All publications are available on the FAA website for free, thereā€™s no need to buy any materials at this timeā€¦especially since ATP gives you a bundle package of books and online material (King Ground School). If you wanted to get a start on test prep for the Private Pilot, thereā€™s been recommendation from students to use Sportyā€™s Test Prep App.

For the food situationā€¦tons of local deliā€™s and ā€œmom and popā€ shops around, like Clarence said, I think the big go to here is Deli-Licious CafĆ©, Stellaā€™s Pizza, etc.

@Adam, when are you coming to visit usā€¦been waiting for a Trenton legend to walk in, Iā€™ll even make sure you get Chick-fil-A! @Cforero7 has visited a few times now.

Brady

One of these days Brady but itā€™s kinda far from Oahu :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for info Chris on the AME, will look into asap!

Thank you Brady for all the info. After my AME completed I will schedule a tour of facility. Looking forward to an eye opener process but know full well I am in very capable hands and a well respected Aviation School,

Adam,

Bring the sun and warm weather with you too, pleaseā€¦it was snow flurrying today and cold. :smiley:

Brady

Michael,

If you have not scheduled a TC Tour, I would get one scheduled with Admissions to come check the facility out. Get first-hand experience and eyes on what itā€™s like here in the training center, our G1000 Piper Archers, and thereā€™s normally a couple instructor and students here on a daily basis.

Admissions # (904)-595-7950

Brady

@Never2late Did you start? I start at TTN and in a similar position as you.

@Adam Iā€™m starting at TTN on Jan 3rd. Iā€™m curious about your high wind comment. What should I expect in terms of reduction in flight time? Iā€™ve done a few discovery flights around the central NJ area and it has already been gusty (one day in October it was 14/28). I was attempting turns around a point and it was challenging.

Doug,

Honestly I wouldnā€™t anticipate anything. Weā€™re talking about the weather which as Iā€™m sure youā€™re aware is hard to predict a week away let alone months. NJ gets harsh winters and they also get mild ones. Whatā€™s important is ATP has been operating out of TTN for year all 4 seasons.

Long short youā€™ll be fine.

Adam

Doug,

I completed my time at Trenton as an instructor earlier this year and I can say, the weather in New Jersey over the last two years has not significantly impacted flying across the spectrum. The hardest challenge during these winter months is freezing levels and even then, if thereā€™s visible precipitation it may be wise to call it a ground study or sim session. ATP has been operating more than 70 locations in their last 35+ years of operation. They wouldnā€™t keep a location open if it hinders students and instructors. Having that said, you will get to experience all kinds of winds in New Jersey. I could count on one day how many days a month we didnā€™t have a crosswindā€¦ practicing in the real conditions only make you better. Being a brand-new student, you probably wonā€™t be flying in those gusty conditions due to experience, but as you build said experience you could be flying in gusty conditions.

Brady