52 with ASEL

I’m 52 with 300hrs as private. Obviously too late for airline but what other options are available? Want to spend next 10-15 years doing something I love - Flying, while earning a modest income?

Thanks
RK

Rami,

You have 300 and can get additional in 1200 in a year and half. Still at 54 you can get to Regionals and fly for additional 11 years as FO and last 5 to 6 years as Captain if all work great. I am sure Adam, Chris and Tory would agree. Again, I am no expert just saying by reading and following all treads in this forum

That’s very interesting. I was not including hrs accumulated during training. Sounds like at best 1.5 to worst 2.5 years is doable…

Thanks!

Do the 1200 hours need to be broken down by certain categories e.g IFR, Instructional, Multi-engine etc?

Yes!! I am hoping to get my First class since it was deferred. Once that arrives will book my class and hope to finish in 2.5 year school and hours upto 1500. I shall be 43 to 44 at that time and still have good 20 years in the dream field. So if you end up getting 10 years still better then nothing!! Just my 2 cents

1 Like

I am still, I am sure one of the mentors can explain that better.

I’d love to hear from one of the mentors some more details … especially around the 1200hrs breakdown.

Thank you
Rami

Check out 14 CFR 61.159

1 Like

Thank you!

Rami,

If you can commit to a full-time training program you could have all of your ratings and time in about 17 months. We recommend teaching to build time. If you can get through that, your chances of success getting through new hire training at a regional are much higher than if you decide to piece your ratings together and build your time doing some low-time pilot job. Subject yourself to the fast-paced environment now so that when you get to the regionals you’ll be groomed for success.

If you don’t want to fly for the regionals, figure out what other job you’d like to do and the hiring minimums for that job will tell you what ratings you’ll need to get. A quick google search will bring up some ideas for you. Be aware, most of the low-time jobs don’t pay well, but it’s a start. From there you could network your way into a corporate gig.

Tory

Tory,

Good to know. I appreciate the insight!

Rami