61 vs 141

Hello aviation community,

For the pilots that have done 61 flight training? How was your experience going 61 vs 141? Rough timeline? I have full time job now and have some debt. Just trying to figure out a game plan. Thanks again,

Aaron

Aaron,

All the mentors on this forum trained with ATP which is a part 61 school (some may however have some 141 experience). The main difference is the 141 curriculum is very formal and requires X amount of hours for each item to be trained. The problem with that is it prevents accelerated progress which is what allows ATP to offer the FastTrack program.

Adam

Thanks Adam for the info

Aaron

Aaron,

141 programs are typically what you see through college aviation programs. They take a full four years of college and stretch out private through CFI. I’m sure there grounds training is superb since you have a year for each phase to learn and study. However, they are typically very costly and take years to complete.

Hannah

1 Like

Thanks Hannah for the clarification, this helps a lot.

Aaron.

Aaron,

I got my private through a part 141 school. The best way to describe 141 is that it is similar to anything else that involves the Federal Government. It is over blown with ridiculous regulations and is twice as complex as it should be. I find that while 141 schools argue that they can take less time, they often end up taking significantly more time and money than part 61 schools.

Chris

1 Like