Aa sea -> blr

Looking for some pilots with knowledge of the industry to make a better educated guess than I could. Any idea how it makes sense that American is launching a nonstop between Seattle and Bengalaru, India?
I was reading this article just now, and it doesn’t make quite a lot of sense to me. AA doesn’t have a hub in Seattle, shouldn’t it be DAL instead? Also, it’s set to be AA’s longest route, so it must be a good investment somehow.
Maybe something to do with their partnership with Alaska?

Ben

edit: why isn’t the title capitalizing on my phone!!

1 Like

Ben,

If you ever learn to understand how Network Planning comes up with these routes, please let me know. While Delta does have a presence in SEA, that does not make it exclusively their airport to operate international flights from and anybody who sees a need can fly whatever flights they like there. AA must have seen a demand for travel between those two points and has decided to give it a try. Unusual, yes, but certainly not unheard of.

Chris

1 Like

Ben,

Congrats! While you might not be an airline pilot, you must definitely sound like one!

Its always a tremendous source of amusement to me when the pilots I know, sit back and discuss/criticize the airline regarding commercial decisions they makes with no background or knowledge as to why they made the decision. In the same way the folks in marketing don’t know why I declined an offer to land on Rwy 26R the other night when it was offered and continued to 26L, I have no idea why the company decided to cancel a particular flight, decided on this particular First Class entree or chose a particular new route.

What I can tell you is that all airlines are continuously looking for new markets or routes that might be profitable. They chose the route in question because they received sufficient information somewhere from someone that indicated there was in fact a need or at least a possibility it could be profitable market and was worth a shot.

What I can also tell you is in the future if/when you’re at an airline you can ask mgmt and the union these question and it will also bring a smile to their faces as well :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Hi, here’s a brief overview of how airlines choose their routes: How Do Airlines Actually Plan Routes? (simpleflying.com) Having worked at several airlines and been involved with route planning, I can tell you that its definitely both an art and science with a myriad of factors to consider.

1 Like

Ravi,

Thanks for this article. It was a very interesting read!

I did find it funny though that the article said:

Now, Dallas is very much a United stronghold,

I love Simple Flying but they might want to check their writing! :rofl:

Ben