Abel

Hello my name is Abel I’m 21 years old planning to join flight school which is ATP. My question is I’m currently a college student do you thing it’s good idea to go to ATP now then finish my college after I finish my ATP program.

Abel,

As a rule we always recommend finishing college first. Particularly in your case where you’ve already started college. If you were to stop and do your training, then after you’re done training resume college there would be a break before you started building time. Flying skills are perishable skills plus no flying job wants to see periods of inactivity.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you so much it really helps and also I have some more questions when I check ATP program they offer a loan with a sally Mae however they are asking me for a cosigner for my loan I really don’t like that I want to take the full responsibility for my loan. Do you have any experience about loan what do you think good idea to do.

And also do you think accounting is good college degree to have. I know a lot of people do advise that for some reason what do you think about this, any thoughts thank you

Abel,

If you have questions regarding financing you should call ATP and speak with Kirk. He can explain the options. Bare in mind you’re young and probably don’t have much credit history. These loans are unsecured and therfore can be challenging to obtain without a solid co-signer.

As for your degree that’s really entirely up to you. I always recommend you study something you enjoy and wouldn’t mind pursuing as a career should aviation not work out or you simply want a side gig later in life. Major airlines want a degree but don’t care what it’s in so again chose something you like.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you so much

1,Can some one explain for me the pro and cons of becoming an air line pilot? 2,I want to hear this from a real person which is a pilot. And do you think being a pilot is worth it (for someone who reply to this post)? 3,and is it easy to get a job right away finishing from what ever a pilot program is like ATP?

Abel,
You can apply for the loan on your own but it’s more than likely you will need a co-signer to get approved… It’s very common for students to have co-signers. As for your degree, do it in something you enjoy because you will have to spend considerable time studying it and could eventually work in that field in the case of a furlough.

-Hannah

The thing is I have a hard time to find a cosigner right now that is why I’m looking to apply individuals and also I have good credit score over 700. Do you know any loan that do not require a cosigner because I can’t find a cosigner

Abel,
There is a ton of info covered on these topics in the FAQ section so please visit there.

1. Pros: greatest job ever: it’s fun, best office, travel, great pay, awesome opportunities
    Con: time away from home, expensive to get into, job instability
  2. 100% worth it, pros are amazing and cons are manageable
  3. Depends! Finishing atp during a global pandemic, heck no. You’re fighting just to get a set of eyeballs
    On your resume let alone getting an interview or a job. Now that things are recovering, maybe? Depends on how many checkride busts you have, what kind of quality hours you have, your recommendations from your training support team
    Or flight instructor, how well you network and interview, etc

-Hannah

1 Like

I believe Sallie Mae is the only loan option right now and if you don’t get approved without a co-signer, I don’t think you have any other choice except saving up money and applying later on. However, call the ATP finance department for more specific help with that.

-Hannah

1 Like

Thank you so much

Do you have any idea which major should I choose for my college degree something that I can get all my pilot license while doing my 4 year degree all I one.

Do you know any college degree that I can get all my pilot license while I get my 4 year degree at the same time

Abel,

There are aviation universities where you can get you degree and your flight training together. They’re generally VERY expensive and you’ll graduate with a degree in aviation which essentially puts all your eggs in one basket.

Not a fan.

Adam

Abel,

As you are already in college, I would recommend completing college first, then going to flight school. It is hard to get back in school mode once one leaves it.

An accounting degree will be just fine, the major airlines just want to see that you can finish a four year degree. I would not recommend going to college and flight school at the same time, it can just be too much. Focus on one thing, then the next.

As for the loans, remember that these are unsecured loans, that means that the lenders will often want a co-signer on the loans. There is a process through Sallie Mae where co-signers can be releases from the loan after a certain amount of on time payments.

Chris

Abel,
Pick a major that you generally enjoy and thus will do as well as possible. That GPA, while not an eliminator, can be the tie breaker in certain future hiring situations.

If that major could lead to a future career should you not like being a professional pilot, or lose your medical (because stuff happens) then that is a definite plus as well.

As a professional pilot you will be required to get a medical up to every 6 months and I have known many over the years that became unable to do that due to illness, car wrecks, disease or some other injury and have had to jump into alternative careers.