Accelerated Flight Schools

Besides ATP Flight School, what are some some good flight schools that can can get you instrument rated and/or commercially rated in a month or less (per rating/certificate)? Also, what are the costs of these? And for that matter, PPL?

Jamis,

There are many good flight schools across the country. I (and the other mentors on this forum all trained with ATP) so honestly that’s the only one I’m actually familiar with. What cost and timelines vary from school to school and I recommend you do some research in your area. You should know that since you require 250hrs of flight time to get your Commercial, getting it in a month would be unlikely since few schools have the aircraft (with the exception of ATP) to allow a student to fly that much in a single month. Also know that most schools will quote you a price based on the FAA minimums which are unrealistically optimistic as the National averages are often 50% more or higher.

Adam

I am on the east coast. Any knowledge of flight schools on the east coast would be great, but I am willing to temporarily relocate for the right school anywhere in the U.S.A.

Well if that’s the case you should be looking at ATP. Fixed price, guaranteed instructor position after training, Regional placement assistance with Tuition Reimbursement and over 300 students hired by airlines in the last year. Kinda hard to beat.

Adam

1 Like

I’ve been thinking. Is it possible to do your ground school then air school at separate schools?.

No. The ground and flight portions are not seperate with ATP, they are conducted together.

1 Like

It is but not at ATP.

Adam

Ohw! Okay because I was looking at cost saving purposes since some schools are cheaper on ground school and expensive on airschool (hiring a plane). Would you suggest any cheaper way of earning a PPL?

Flying is expensive and there’s really no way around that. The best advice I can give someone is not to spread your training out over time. While it may seem easier on your wallet I assure you it isn’t. There’s a reason the military and airlines train their pilots every day. Consistency is key since each lesson builds on the last. The best way to save money is to build up your funds and take 3-4 weeks and bang the whole thing out.

Adam

I know this is an ATP forum, but does anyone have any knowledge or past experiences with ANY respectable flight schools? I have my commercial, but not my instrument, so ATP is not really a good fit because I can only start with credit for my Private. I would basically be loosing the money spent on all the time building and commercial. Any advice would be appreciated!

Jason,

There are literally thousands of flights schools across the country. You might want to be more specific in your request for information.

Chris

Chris,

My apologies. I’m looking for an accelerated flight school, similar to ATP. One of my main concerns is while there are lots of reputable flight schools, I want one that is geared to the airline atmosphere. Given my odd starting spot, its not as straight forward as most people looking to make this transition. Everyone and their mother will give you a price and they vary greatly (about $25-55k), so I’m just looking for any actual experience or 1st hand knowledge. Seems that most people who write reviews are angry (probably because they washed out) so I don’t feel that is a fair way of looking at things.

Jason,

All of the mentors on this website are ATP graduates, so all of our experiences will be based on that. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Chris

1 Like

Jason,

There’s an old expression “do a good job and they’ll tell a friend, do a bad job and they’ll tell everyone”. People like to complain, especially if they wash out because it couldn’t possibly be their fault. If I were you I’d visit some of the schools that you like for whatever reason (convenience, equipment, etc) and ask if there are any former or current students you can chat with.

A million years ago when I was doing my research on flight schools, there was no Yelp or online forums. I just hung around by the school and asked students coming out. Got some great perspectives which helped tremendously.

Adam

2 Likes

I highly doubt that was a million years ago, you are still flying :grinning:

Thanks for the advice!

Ok maybe half a million :wink:

Adam

3 Likes