Admission at age 43 too old?

I am 43 and looking at becoming a pilot. Realistically, I would be 45 when I could start flying for an airline. Is it possible to reach Captain at a Major Airline before hitting max retirement age?

Greg,

This is by far the most commonly asked question we get. The short answer is yes, it’s definitely possible. We’re living in a brave new world where the pilot shortage has accelerated and shortened the processs. Currently both FedEx and Delta are are boasting 1yr upgrades. Keep in mind these are for narrowbody airplanes at a few bases (like ANC and LGA) so again the answer is yes. Widebody Captain at senior bases can still take quite some time so that’s a question mark for you but the way things are going you never know?

Adam

1 Like

Greg,

Yes, it is possible, but keep in mind that there are no guarantees. There is always a possibility of a dramatic change in the market, but as things stand now, it should be possible for you, provided you also check the other necessary boxes.

Chris

Greg,

I think so, however, your seniority as a major airline captain will likely be low. Your quality of life might be better at a regional or as an FO at a major. But, to each their own. If it’s what you want, yes it is possible if you start now.

Tory

1 Like