Age and Seniority Number

Hi everyone,

As always, I’ll try to brief, since I know how busy you are all.

Given that this will be a second career, and my age (45), I would probably be the most senior member of my new hire class. I had heard that the oldest person in the class gets their first choice of available domiciles and equipment, and that they get the most senior number in that class. Is this generally correct?

Thanks!

Finn

It depends on the airline. Some go by your SSN (last 4) where numbers in new hire class get sorted lowest to highest and seniority is assigned. Some (like in my case) go by age, and I wouldn’t necessarily count on being the oldest. I’m in my early 40s and was 6th out of 24 in my regional new hire class. I’ve heard of new hires in their late 50s to early 60s at a regional, so don’t bet on having your first pick of everything just yet. With class seniority you do get your earlier pick of base, equipment and training assignments (e.g. sim schedule). Unless of course your employer has needs at a specific location. In which case you’re going to get assigned whatever they need and then can put in a standing bid for your preference, when your base becomes available to you based on your system seniority.

Thank you so much, Sergey. Really appreciate the information!

It is actually good to hear that there were that many non-traditional new hires in your class.

1 Like

Finn,

Sergey is correct, it can go either way. When I was hired at a Regional I was the oldest in the class and that was also how they determined seniority within the class. At Hawaiian they went last 4 of social and without giving the hackers too much info I did not do well.

Something to keep in mind is while seniority is vitally important in this career, when it comes to things like bases and sometimes even trips it really depends what you want. When we’re talking about bidding, what seniority does is allow you to get what’s popular (example everybody wants Christmas off but only the most senior will get it). I read your other post where you asked Chris about GUM. I’ll let him answer but back when we were Continental Express, GUM was a very junior base because no one wanted to be out there (in fact they paid a bonus if you went). If you wanted to go it didn’t matter what your seniority was, you got it. When I was based in EWR no one liked going to Mexico but I loved it and literally went every week. What I’m saying is don’t assume because you’re junior you won’t get what you want, you simply won’t get what EVERYONE else wants.

Adam

1 Like

Finn,
Like others said totally depends on the airline and what they use as a determining factor. At Skywest, cadets have a bit more seniority that those that were new hires. Then among the cadets, they are sorted based on their orientation class date. Then it goes by last four of your social. So a little bit of seniority and a lot of luck.
-Hannah

Finn,

At all of the airlines I have worked for, it was handled as you described. I believe some airlines use Social Security numbers or alphabetical order as a way of handing this as well.

Interesting that Adam brought up Guam, it used to be a very junior base for us, but has shrunken quite a bit and is now a rather senior base. Times change.

Chris

1 Like

Adam, did you buy a Mexican scooter on an overnight and then try to smuggle it back stateside in the cargo compartment? :joy:

1 Like

Sergey,

A legendary story, one of the all time greats from ExpressJet. I am impressed that you know it :slight_smile:

Chris

When more than half of every new hire class is former ExpressJet guys, you not only get to learn from some of the most experienced 145 drivers out there—you get all the fun stories too :joy:

It wasn’t me, but I do know who it was and did fly with him. We definitely had some interesting cats over there.

Adam

Hi @Hannah, @Chris, and @Adam!

Have loved hearing about Mexico and the scooter. It’s fun to get a glimpse of the human (fun) side of life as a pilot.

I also want to thank you all for the information on seniority. It is interesting to hear how it is handled differently at different airlines. Personally, I am hoping they will go with the birthdate equation; there should be some benefits to coming to this a little later in life.

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone!

Finn