Age requirements and plan

Hello. I am 16 years old and asking can I train for my ppl, instrument, and commercial at 16? Then when I turn 18, I will have them all?

Tyler,

You can train for whatever you like at 16 but you can’t take the checkride for your PPL till you’re 17 and the CPL till 18.

Adam

Tyler,

No, there are age requirements for all FAA pilot certificates. I suggest doing some research to learn what they all are.

Chris

Do you think it’d be smart to train for my ppl and instrument right now at 16, then take the check rides at 17? Then work on my commercial at 17 and take the check ride at 18? Then knock my 4 years of college and go to regionals at 21?

Tyler,

Sure, just make sure you’re good and ready for each checkride when checkride time comes. As long as you’re continuously training you need to keep your skills sharp prior vs just buzzing the pattern. Further to take your CPL checkride you’ll need 250hrs flight time.

Also understand to fly for a Regional you’ll need 1500hrs flight time which could be a challenge if you’re a full-time student.

Adam

Tyler,

No, I do not. I think it would be best to focus on your education, then worry about flight training. We have found time after time that some life experience and maturity really help people succeed in flight training. I know this is not the answer that you want, but it is what we have found.

Chris

I actually agree! Personally I think i am doing better than I would have, had i tried full time flight training before college

Tyler,

You need to put more thought into the regional airline flight experience requirements. How are you going to get from commercial to ATP?

Tory

Sorry guys. I forgot about the cfi…

Now, after I get my commercial check ride at 18, I will get the rest of my 1500 hours thru instructing, then I’ll probably be 19.5 years old after I get my 1500. Then I’ll work towards my bachelors and get it once I’m about 23.5, while have started regionals at 21.

Tyler,

Your plan is very ambitious. Not saying it won’t work but don’t be surprised if you’re not where you expect to be when you expect to be there. And that’s ok.

Btw, have you done any flight training yet? Intro flight?

Adam

Yes, I did an intro flight for the very first time last week and loved it!

Tyler,

This plan looks good on paper. If you decide to do your flight training through a local school it will be up to you to keep yourself on track.

Tory