Airline Cockpits

Is it just me, or do some of the seats/floors in the commercial aircraft look absolutely disgusting? It’s almost as if it were one of those things in your home that you would clean instantaneously. I’m a huge germ freak! From all of the videos I’ve seen, the technology has been amazing up front. On the other hand, it looks absolutely terrifying & unbelievably disgusting to have to routinely share that with other people all the time.

Jacob,

Really depends on the airline as some have better cleaning procedures than others. I will say I have seen some pretty grungy flight decks over the years. I also hesitate to say anything positive as it pertains to the current pandemic but it has resulted in much more thorough cleaning and sanitizing and some of the cleanest cockpits I’ve ever seen (they smell good too).

Once this is licked however I’m pretty certain things will go back to normal. If you are a germ freak you’re probably going to have to either get over it or plan on arriving very early for your flights so you can clean things up to an acceptable level. I’d also recommend a good headset you can use as you definitely don’t want to be sharing those!

Adam

2 Likes

Jacob,

Some airplanes are cleaner than others. I am not sure what level of cleanliness you can really expect though as airplanes are essentially public transportation and we make money off of hauling as many people as possible in as short as time as possible.

I am not a germ freak. You might want to think about your germaphobia as as an airline pilot you will be sharing a very small space with numerous other people, touching the same buttons, and coming into contact with hundreds of people per day.

The cockpits are often the dirtiest parts of the airplane as the cleaners are either not allowed to touch it, or are afraid to.

Chris

1 Like

Depends on the company and how old the aircraft is.

Currently Flight Decks have never be cleaner, 100 alcohol wipe supply and 10 documents showing what we can and cannot clean with them.

This is true from flight schools all the way to the airlines. At the regionals I suggest you bid for the E175s. If the CRJ200s are still around you’ll find out why haha.

Chris

1 Like