Airline piloting after retirement from current career

Hi all,

I am seeking guidance and after reading a lot of posts this seems like the place to ask. I am planning on retiring from being a police officer in 2028 after 26 years of service. I would be 51 years old and my youngest child will have graduated from HS. I have always dreamed of flying and have flown in small planes with relatives. I am interested in pursuing this as a second career after retirement because I just can’t afford the pay cut to leave earlier (2 kids will be in college :dollar: :dollar: :dollar:). I understand that after training, building time and, hopefully, as an airline pilot I would most likely only have about 10 years of flying at the regional level. I also understand that a lot can change in that time span. Since I have approximately 7 years to prepare, I would like to know what anyone would recommend I do or what steps I could start taking. Your advice is appreciated.

2 Likes

Jamison,

Sounds like you’ve done your homework, have some flying experience and realistic expectations. With that here’s my suggestion. Start your training now with ATPs Flex Track program which will allow you to continue working. When you’re done in about a year you’ll then have 6yrs to build the required 1500hrs. While I usually encourage people to fast track it, that doesn’t work in your situation, but if you can find a part time instructor gig that’s only 200hrs a year you’ll need which is pretty easy to do (you could even rent and fly yourself but instructing will make you a better pilot). At that point rather than just getting started when you retire, you can already have a Regional position lined up.

Adam

1 Like

Jamison,

Unless you’re planning on enrolling in the Flex Track program, like Adam suggested, there’s not much to do until you are within about six months from enrollment. Six months typically allows for enough time to secure financing (if needed), the 1st Class Medical Certificate, and complete all the written tests. More on that in the FAQ section.

The written tests can be taken during the program, but we always suggest taking the written exams before the program if possible. However, the test results are only valid for 24 calendar months so in your case it doesn’t make sense to start working on those now.

If you have the drive and the spare time you are always welcome to read as much material as you’d like. Although many find it difficult to really grasp the material it doesn’t hurt to try. All of the textbooks that you will receive from ATP are available in PDF format of the FAA’s website. I recommend the PHAK and AFM. [www.faa.gov > Training & Testing > Pilot Training > Aviation Handbooks & Manuals]

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/media/airplane_flying_handbook.pdf

Tory

1 Like

Jamison,
It’s great you are thinking and planning ahead. I think the guys have the right idea here. Enroll in the flex track program and knock out as many ratings as you can while still working. The goal should be to have all your ratings and your hours by the time you retire. That’s just about the fastest and most efficient way to get your aviation career jump started. Best case scenario, having 1500 hours and your ATP at 51 years old, you’re looking at 14 years before the mandatory airline retirement age. That is plenty of time to get through the regionals and to a major but not much after that. The big income comes from the majors and you won’t be there until at least 4-6 years at a regional which would place you at (55-57). You could be a “lifer” at the regionals and stay there and build up great seniority and top out on their pay scale as captain and be content with that. Another option, check out the part 135 side of things. Often you can find opportunities with more flexible schedules, can be home every night, great pay (better than capt pay at most regionals) and you could fly passed the age of 65, granted you can still hold a first class medical. There is a captain at my company still flying the CJ3 at 74 years old.

-Hannah

2 Likes

Jamison,

To begin with, thank you for your service as a law enforcement officer. I for one am very glad that there are people like you who are willing to help keep us all safe.

Short of actually beginning flight training, there really is not much that you can do to prepare now. I have mixed emotions on beginning training now, v. waiting until you retire. On one hand, it makes sense to start learning now and building your hours, hopefully to have 1,500 hours by the time you retire. On the other hand, it can be hard to find part time instructing opportunities, especially while working a full time job. If you were not able to work part time as a pilot, your skills will become rusty and you will have to relearn much of them when you do get back into the cockpit. Not to mention that if you work full time as an officer, then work part time as a CFI, that does not leave much time for family, recreation, sleep, etc.

If you do wait to start flight training, the best thing you could do is save your money so you have ti finance as little of it as possible. There really is not that much learning that can be done without being in an airplane.

Chris

1 Like

I apologize for not staying active here, but whereas I thought my career as a K9 handler would be coming to an end it actually has restarted with working a new dog. That being said, thank you all for your input! I am torn on what to do. I would like to retire and move right into an aviation career, but I also understand that the timing just isn’t working right now and it would be best to wait. I am 3 hours away from Chicago so I don’t think the Flex Track will work for me. I think I may pursue my private certificate starting next year and just enjoy flying privately until I am closer to my retirement date. Thank you all again and be safe!

Jamison,
Thanks for the update. Three hours is quite excessive and completely incompatible with even the flex track program. Sounds like the timing isn’t quite right yet. Be careful doing private on the side, it can end up being very costly with gaps in training. Let us know if you have any more questions along the way!

-Hannah

Jamison,

That sounds like a good plan, I think three hours is way too long of a drive for you to be successful in the program. Getting your private and then going through the program later is a good option, but please keep in mind that a few years in aviation can have a significant impact on your career.

Chris