Airline Sim Trainers

Are the folks that run the simulators at the airline training centers typically pilots themselves? If so, do they do sims full time or can you mix in time as a Simulator Instructor and as flying Pilot?

cg

Chris,

In most cases yes. There are some very small carriers who use full service facilities (incl instructors) like Flight Safety to do their training but that’s not the norm. Most airlines own their own sims but even those that don’t will have their own instructors doing the training.

As for the instructors themselves that can vary from airline to airline. While most have pilot instructors who work the sims and fly, some will have full-time sim only instructors who are often retired pilots.

Adam

Chris,

At my airline all sim instructors are current and active pilots. They work in the sims most days, but fly the line 2-4 days per month.

Chris

Sounds like a great gig for someone who isn’t quite ready to hang up the head set at 65! As a mid life career changer I know 65 will come up quicker, good to know there are options like this (to this point I assumed 65+ effectively meant non-airline flying).

I actually don’t mind the sound of that. Are they tough positions to get at your airline? Safe to assume only the best get a shot?

Chris,

“Tough” is relative. I’ve seen my airline go through peaks and valleys in terms of hiring/training/checking. If you are interested in getting into the training department I recommend applying as early as possible. I’m hoping to get a Sim Instructor slot when hiring picks back up again.

Tory

2 Likes

Chris,

I would say that they are tough to get at United. Also, we do not allow people to work in that position past the age of 65.

Chris

I am still a figurative million miles away from it even being an option, but will set it as a goal to be reminded of it each time I drive by the training center.

Thanks @Chris (et. al.) for the quick and informative response(s), as always.

cg

Chris the word “best” is an interesting word. Obviously if you’ve struggled with training you’re probably not going to get the nod but it’s pretty safe to say most pilots are more than competent. I’ve been in the training dept at both my airlines and in my experience they’re generally looking for good employees. Every airline has a percent of “problem children”. These are people who just have generally bad attitudes and struggle with following the rules, have excessive absences, been late for a trip or 10 etc etc etc. I’m always amazed because they ALL complain that they’re passed over for instructor slots and all swear it’s rigged. The fact is there’s tremendous responsibility that comes with the position and also generous pay. This doesn’t mean you need to “suck up” but they are not going to reward bad behavior either.

Be a good employee, do well in training and follow the rules and you’ll have a good shot.

Adam

To the point sans frills and feel goods as usual @Adam ! This type of insight is exactly that for which I am looking.

Fits right in with the theme of advice I’ve received from you and the other ATP Mentors to date, “keep my nose clean and my options/mind open”!

Thanks!

cg

A Sim Instructor is an option to build a resume and open doors.

Flight Safety used to and I believe still does give “Free” type ratings after so many sim hours. Sometimes as an instructor and other times as a paid &/or free “Seat Sub”.

• A Seat Sub is someone who fills in as the FO or CP when someone is getting a Type Rating and they need a 2nd Pilot to fill the other seat.

Spirit I believe had a program Pre-Covid that had CFIs (Forget the Hourly requirement) become A320 Instructors and after 2-3years they would be on-boarded as Spirit FOs. I think one of the perks was you keep seniority from day you began Sim Instructing.

The key is to understand many Airlines, 135 Ops and Insurance Companies want to see actual flight time in Aircraft. So having 5 Type Ratings but only 10hrs in each aircraft wont get you very far easily.

Chris F.

1 Like

Those are absolutely words to live by. If you do exactly that, you will do well in this industry.

Chris

2 Likes