An all ATP cockpit

I saw this on Facebook, it was nice to see an all ATP cockpit, I have actually had that experience myself where all three of the pilots assigned to the flight had trained at ATP.

6 Likes

This is neat. I clicked on the link to see the post and I couldn’t believe it! In the Facebook post, the bottom picture with the two guys standing next to the Seminole and the ATP instructor…the instructor was my FAA check airman for my instrument rating…small world! :grin:

2 Likes

Aviation is an incredibly small world. There is an estimated 130,000 airline pilots in the US, contrast this to over 1,000,000 medical doctors in the country. The industry is so small that I have actually flown with a pilot who’s dad flew with my grandfather back at TWA.

3 Likes

7 Likes

I had no idea 74,000 was the total number of pilots in America. Definitely a lot less than I originally imagined.

I say this with absolute seriousness, when you go to a party as a pilot, everybody wants to talk to you about it. The job still has a lot of prestige that goes with it, much of that is driven by how few pilots there are.

5 Likes

Not to bust on anyone’s stories, but according to the FAA there are 600,000 pilots in the US.

Still a very low number, approx .2% of the US population.

The quote refers to active currently EMPLOYED AIRLINE pilots (hence the words “our profession”). The FAA counts everyone with a license including Sport, Private, gliders, gyrocopters etc, even if they don’t have a current medical and haven’t flown for decades. Story remains unbusted.

Adam

Nick,

There are 600,000 pilots, but that includes private pilots and everybody that just flies for fun. My uncle was referencing the total number of airline pilots, which is obviously a much smaller number.

Chris

Adam Pilot Mentor
November 21
The quote refers to active currently EMPLOYED AIRLINE pilots (hence the words “our profession”). The FAA counts everyone with a license including Sport, Private, gliders, gyrocopters etc, even if they don’t have a current medical and haven’t flown for decades. Story remains unbusted.

Adam

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.