Any good programs for guranteed FedEx interview similar to Endeavor's Air STEP program to Delta?

Looking for any flows or programs to get to FedEx. I know of propel for Delta and also the Endeavor Air Step to Delta. Looking for any info on similar programs for FedEx. Thanks!

Brandon, Google is really a wonderful resource…

http://www.fedexpurplerunway.com/

Adam

I’m aware of purple runway, but like for Delta, there are different programs with different regionals also offered other than propel, like the Endeavor one. Just wanting to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Brandon,

A FedEx pilot position is one of the most sought after flying jobs out there. It is extremely competitive as they are generally regarded as a great place to work. If you get into this field, it is okay to have FedEx as a goal, but I would be sure to have other places I was comfortable going to as well.

Chris

1 Like

What makes the cargo carriers so much more sought after in comparison to passenger airlines? From looking at the pay scale on the ATP site the pay isn’t that far off. Actually if I’m not mistaken AA and possibly UAL pay more than FedEx

Ivan,

A couple of things. First it’s really only recently with the pilot shortage that the rest of the Major’s payscales were brought up but for a very long time they were far ahead.

Second many pilots like the idea of not dealing with pax. Fun fact, many airline sim checks involve “passenger disturbances” because they’re so common and problematic.

Finally right now is a perfect example of the cargo industry being somewhat more stable than passenger ops. We’re seeing more and more travel bans popping up around the world but the cargo guys are still flying if not more. Atlas was actually created decades ago when the founder observed during some economic crisis (I don’t recall which) that many pax aircrafts were parked when he was in Hong Kong but the cargo flights were alive and well.

Adam

1 Like

I see. As always thanks for the informative response. Was it this last contract that the pay went up dramatically? What percent raise was it? How long are pilots’ contracts? Also I saw another post where you said there are multiple pilot unions ALPA being the largest, so do all pilots that work for the same carrier belong to the same union? Or do some of your peers working for HAL belong to a different union? Sorry for bombarding you just trying to be as informed as possible

Ivan,

Probably the last 2 contracts with the last being the biggest bump (the %'s vary by airline and fleets but in many cases it was significant).

Typically airline contracts are 5yrs but again that can and does vary.

Finally ALPA (Airline Pilots Association) is the largest pilot union in the US and yes, every pilot at “ALPA carriers” (airlines) are in the same union and work under the same CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement). There are a few that are Teamsters. The only others are American and SouthWest who each have their own separate pilot unions.

Adam

1 Like

Ivan,

Pay has been going up since about the year 2000, which is when the first rumblings of the pilot shortage began. We have seen steady increases since then.

Chris

1 Like