Any value in retaking FAA PAR written test?

Hello,

Just a quick question with hopefully a quick answer. Is there any value in retaking the FAA PAR written test if I passed the first attempt with an 80%? I have read threads about the DPE seeing your written scores and then drilling down on missed questions. Will the DPE have access to all scores for the same test or just the latest? Thanks so much.

Jason,

80% is still a pass and I wouldn’t waste the $100-some dollars to retake. I would simply be iron clad on your oral preparation for your private pilot checkride. Use the ACS and make sure you cover every topic thoroughly in your studying.

Hannah

Jason,

While the DPE cannot access your previous scores, they will see its your second attempt which is pretty much the same thing.

Id stick with the 80 and be well prepared for your oral.

Adam

Jason,

I’m with the others, stick with the 80% and not chance getting a lower score because that becomes your newer score. Get the Private Pilot ACS out, go over how to read and understand it, be ready to explain all your ACS codes that you got wrong on the written… the DPE will go over them during your oral portion of checkride.

Brady

Jason,

Stick with the 80%, but do better on the next ones.

Chris

Thank you to Hannah, Adam, Brady, and Chris, for your responses! I appreciate your insights and will follow your advice to stand pat on my 80%, shore-up any weak knowledge areas for the private pilot oral exam, and study hard to improve the scores on upcoming written tests. This is an awesome forum and you are amazing resources!

3 Likes

Jason,

Glad to hear it.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with. That’s what we’re here for.

Hannah

1 Like