Anyone -Norwood MA ATP

Hi;

Has anyone here been to, or a student at Norwood MA ATP? I read one review on here of it.

It’s a relatively new center and wondered how it is in comparison?

John,

As you point out Norwood is new so there might not be anyone on the forum who’s currently there. That said ATP strives to provide consistent training throughout all their locations. That means the same aircraft, simulators and of course the same level of instruction. If that’s the location that works best for you then that’s the location you should choose.

Adam

Thanks Adam. Just wondering mainly about the instructors they will have an how experienced they will be etc
I think that’s my main concern, my PPL CFI had great experience 20,000+ Hours, unfortunately he moved

But I will probably go down and meet them for myself

John,

I understand but keep in mind the goal for most instructors is to build their time then move on (just like you’ll want to do). You may hear about or meet some fantastic instructors but chances are they may very well be gone by the time you get there. ATP hires instructors who successfully completed the program so chances are you’re not going to find a 20,000hr CFI there. Rest assured ATP vets all their instructors and works very hard to make certain all their students get the same level of instruction. While they might not have the same amount of experience, they’re all very familiar with the program and how to effectively, efficiently and safely help you succeed.

Adam

1 Like

John,
I am a former lead instruction at the KJQF location in Charlotte, NC. I know that ATP regional managers take the placement of instructors at new locations very seriously. They send only their most experienced instructors. It may be a small location to start but you’ll be their main priority.

-Hannah

1 Like

John,

Full disclosure, I am well aware of the passion in my response below.

Yes there are some great Instructors out there with lots of experience, but I wouldn’t undervalue a CFI with less than 2 years of experience for a couple of reasons.

The vast majority of CFIs out there have less than 2-5 years experience. So, it isn’t fair to dismiss the vast majority of CFIs just because they don’t have 20,000 hours. Also, flying is largely a learning experience, especially if you are a student at ATP. The program is designed to be primarily self-taught which requires a great deal of discipline and initiative on the student’s part. The instructor is important. Don’t get me wrong, but they are mainly there to keep you and everyone else safe and to guide you to the finish line while you are busy grinding out most of the work.

So, my point is that it isn’t safe to assume that a CFI-Lifer is the only way to go (or the “better” way for that matter). If you have access to one, by all means. Take advantage while you can! Not knocking the value in that. However, being taught by a CFI-Lifer doesn’t guarantee that you will be a better pilot than then one who was taught by a freshly minted CFI. The fate of your success rests in your hands, not your CFIs. A good CFI should give you the resources you need to be self-sufficient and then supplement your training with instruction. If you look at this the other way around where you are looking to your CFI to teach you everything you need to know and that only a seasoned CFI is going to deliver that, you’re hugely mistaken. There is no way for any CFI to teach you everything you need to know. You will encounter your own experiences. As long as your CFI has taught you good stick and rudder, ADM, SRM, CRM skills, etc. you should be able to handle yourself just fine.

Like I said earlier, flying is an endless learning experience. And that’s true for every pilot no matter what level they are at. I am doubling back on this comment because I don’t care who you (in the general sense) were taught by. Once you earn your ratings all that is is a license to learn. You are never done. You never reach the pinnacle. Flying is a dynamic and diminishing skill. Every flight is a new flight. No CFI and no rating or certificate is capable of absolving pilots of their responsibility to continue the learning process.

Whatever path you end up choosing, I’ll end with this: if any student is displeased with their Instructor and can make a case to reasonably justify their dissatisfaction, address it with management or with any of the Mentors here. Unprofessional behavior is not tolerated. We have and always will uphold the highest standards.

Tory

1 Like

Thanks guys for all the responses very reassuring and from what I’ve heard and seen about ATP it’s been very positive.

1 Like