Applying to ATP Airline Career Pilot Program with an Instrument Rating

I am a sophomore in college completing a four year bachelor’s program. I got my private pilot’s certification last year, and now I am debating whether to complete my instrument rating in the summer. On the ATP website, there is no mention of the acceptance of a prior instrument rating and the updated cost and financial plans if a prior instrument rating was accepted into the Airline Career Pilot Program. Does the ATP Airline Career Pilot Program accept prior instrument ratings, and if so, what would the new cost and timeline look like for the previously mentioned program? For reference, I would be entering the ATP program right after I graduate with my bachelor’s degree.

Rohan,

ATP has 2 versions of the Career Pilot Program. One starts with zero time, the other gives you credit for your PPL. Anything else you obtain (like your IR) would be repeated.

If you really want to train with ATP, don’t get your IR and save your money.

Adam

Rohan,

While ATP doesn’t offer such a program, since you have your PPL my advice to you is to show up ready to take your PPL checkride. Obviously you won’t have to retake the PPL checkride, but by being prepared to take it you will be in the best position to begin the program. Your time will be consumed with instrument training. You won’t revisit a lot of the private stuff until the commercial and CFI phases.

If you want to do yourself a favor, show up polished. Then once you start the program, spend time reviewing your private knowledge when you have time. That way when it is time for commercial and CFI, you will breeze right through those phases.

Also, an alternative to getting your instrument rating this summer is to complete the written exams ahead of the program. I think your time will be well spent if you get as many of them done as you can. Check out the FAQ section and ATP’s website for more info.

Tory