Applying without the need for a loan

Can I apply to an ATP program as a CFI and get a discount because I require less training, and how do I do it? When I try to apply, why do I get sent to Sallie Mae Loans where it asks me to apply for a loan? What if I don’t need a loan? I don’t necessarily understand the process.

Hayden,

There are two entry points to the ATP program: zero time or credit private. If you want the benefits of the ATP program, you’d have to redo portions of your training: instrument, commercial and CFI. If you already have your CFI, I’d explore time building options at local schools near you. Some programs might even have the multi add on option in house.

Hannah

If I had the hours and acceptable multi engine time and applied for a United subsidiary as a pilot would I be on the same level as someone who went through the ATP program, or would those students be favored and would that effect my ability to get hired?

Hayden,

ATP has established relationships with many airlines so to the quality of their training and the students demonstrated ability to handle the accelerated pace. A great example is ATP grads who instructed with ATP now have the tremendous opportunity to go directly to Spirit and bypass the Regionals completely.

Fortunately for you there’s a pilot shortage so you’ll probably be ok but there’s no question ATP grads who take advantage of the airline partnerships have an edge.

Adam

Hayden,

If you’re looking to fly for United one day, you should look in the United Aviate program. You mentioned you are a CFI, but not no school or program name (which is fine)… Maybe Aviate works for you based on your current employer?

I think the “advantage” would be to get into a program such as Aviate (for United) which would get your foot into the door opening opportunities once you reached company minimums and their subsidiary requirements.

Brady

Hi Brady, thank you for your response. I actually just got my CFI and am working on getting employed now. I live in Lexington, KY so my only options for flight schools here are NexGen and Wings which are not one of the accepted organizations for Aviate. I saw ATP was though, and was hoping for a way to apply as a flight instructor within ATP, but already a CFI does not appear to be one of their entry points. Maybe I will see if there is a way to apply to Epic Flight Academy somewhere as a flight instructor. If I am successful then it looks like I could apply yo Aviate, but I would probably have to move.

Hayden,

You can definitely apply but you need to understand that ALL flight schools will give preference to their own students. That’s one of the reasons choosing the right school is important.

Adam

1 Like

Hayden,

If you don’t receive any offers for a CFI position at any of the affiliated schools, that may not be the right entry point for someone in your situation. It may make more sense for you to continue building experience as a CFI where you are currently employed and then try to enter the Aviate program after you get on with one of the United Express partners. Flying for United Express | United Aviate program

Tory