Real Answers from Real Pilots

April, 2021 Schedule

We are overall busy system wide, but things are a little slow to get going in the Newark base.

1. Off
  2. Off
  3. EWR-ORD, ORD-DEN, DEN-SAT
  4. SAT-IAH, IAH-DFW, DFW-ORD
  5. Off
  6. Off
  7. Off
  8. Off
  9. Short call reserve
  10. Long call reserve
  11. EWR-DTW
  12. DTW-ORD, ORD-GRR
  13. GRR-ORD, ORD-MEX
  14. MEX-IAD
  15. Off
  16. Off
  17. Off
  18. Off
  19. Long call reserve
  20. Long call reserve
  21. Long call reserve
  22. Off
  23. Off
  24. Off
  25. Off
  26. Long call reserve
  27. Long call reserve
  28. Long call reserve
  29. Long call reserve
  30. Long call reserve
1 Like

Hey Chris. I noticed you had a lot of long call reserve this month. Is it fairly common to be able to bid long call reserve at most airlines, or are most reserve schedules built around short call?

Andrew,

Most of not all airlines have long and short call Reserve. As with all things seniority will dictate who gets what and there are benefits to each. While long call definitely gives you more time (typically 12hrs) in my experience long call reserve pilots are used more often. Scheduling doesn’t like cutting things close and short call is more for last minute operational disruptions. People call in sick more than airplanes break and last minute sick calls are frowned upon. Hence when someone calls in sick the day or night before chances are they’re going to call a long call pilot and mark the trip as covered.

Adam

Andrew,

At my airline, we always start as long call until they convert us to short call. After three conversions to short call, they have to start paying us an extra hour of pay for each time they do it. In the past, I usually flew more on reserve or was converted to short call more. The Newark base has been a bit slow to get things started, so I have not been converted as much as usual.

Chris

Andrew,

At my airline we have the option to bid for long call AM or PM, short call AM or PM, or airport reserve AM or PM. Long call can be converted to short call. Short call can be converted to airport, but there’s a limit to how many times a conversion can be done in a bid period.

Tory

Hi Chris and Tory,

How much of a warning do you get if you are converted? Do you get converted in the middle of a long call day? Or do they convert you a couple days in advance? Or all of the above, they just convert you whenever?

Thank you,

Alex

I’d have to ask around. I believe when I was converted they did it the day before.

Tory

Alex,

It almost always happens the day before and it takes thirteen hours for them to convert you. Meaning that you can get the call at 8 pm saying that you will be on short call reserve tomorrow at 9 am. This gives you time to get into position if you do not live in base. I routinely sit in either Virginia or Michigan while I am on short call reserve. When I get converted to short call, I go up to Newark (where I am based).

Chris

Hi Chris,

So basically a conversion from long to short still follows the same timeline as if you were called up to fly from long reserve right? They can’t call you up from long call reserve and say “can you convert to short call in 2 hours”?

Thank you,

Alex

Alex,

Yep, you’ve got it. Glad to help.

Chris