ATP Airline Career Programs Only Available At Certain Locations?

Hello, I am 21 turning 22 this year and new to the ATP pilot life forums and I am hoping to join ATP flight school next year.

Aviation has been in my interest for almost my entire life.

I live close to the Tacoma Narrows Airport location (TIW), and I noticed a blue prompt on that training centers page that states “This location only offers the Airline Career Pilot Program for students who already have a Private Pilot License.”

1. I am curious if that means those who already have a private pilots license prior to getting enrolled in the ATP program at this location are the only ones who are eligible for the airline career pilot program?

2. Or if you obtain your private pilots license through the ATP program at this location, you can still enroll for the airline career pilot program?

Thank you!

Ethan,

It’s #2. You would need to have your PPL prior to start the training.

Big caveat to that it’s the reason for the restriction. It’s due to the poor weather that so often affects the area. With that in mind, depending on when you’re looking to start, I believe that restriction may be lifted. I would contact ATP and inquire.

Adam

1 Like

Ethan,

You will need to have a Private license before enrolling in ATP’s program at this (and a few other) locations. This is due to the weather in the Pacific Northwest and the higher (better) weather requirements to train private pilots versus training in later stages.

One option to consider is to enroll in ATP’s full program, but complete your PPL at a different location and then transfer back to TIW for the rest of your training.

Chris

1 Like

What I plan on doing if that requirement doesn’t go anywhere is move to Sacramento, use the housing and attend the school at Sacramento Executive Airport (SAC).

I will be sure to look into admission and housing.

Thank you very much for your help everyone.

Ethan,

I would not expect the private requirements at TIW to change anytime soon.

Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

1 Like

Ethan,

If you have the money to spare and move to SAC to start the program zero time, that is preferred. Getting in to the professional training environment from the start builds a foundation of good habits. Plus you have a fixed timeline and budget.

However, if finances are tight and you could cut the cost of housing by attending the TIW location then find a local school just for your private license. Do your research because some schools are better than others. Once you complete your private you can get started there from instrument through the rest of the program.

Hannah

1 Like