ATP path

Connor,

My father and both my grandfathers were pilots, as was Hannah’s father. That being said, Adam and Tory did not come from family aviation backgrounds. I would say that the majority of pilots do not come from a family background of flying. I think that you see many multi generational pilot families because it is a great job and one that many sons and daughters are happy to follow in.

So yes, anybody can become an airline pilot, assuming that they meet the criteria, without family connections.

Chris

Connor,
Chris said it well, yes there are pilots with family legacies with the airlines. Typically it’s just because we grew up seeing the lifestyle of our grandfathers and fathers and want that for ourselves too. When it comes to training and getting your ratings, you will have the same challenges as those in your class with family in the industry. You are more of a trailblazer in your family if you choose to follow this path, and for that you could lead others in your family to do the same in years to come.

-Hannah

Connor,

I am a first gen pilot in my family. I got B’s in high school and college, excelled in sports, and I have to read the instructions out loud before assembling anything :wink:

Generally speaking, while connections help if you have the ratings and the time you should have no problem getting hired at the regional level. The majors are a different story, but you don’t need to be thinking that far ahead right now.

If you’re having doubts, you may want to look into obtaining your Private Pilot License at a local mom and pop flight school. This is what I did. You have to be careful when choosing a school, but if you find a good one that may just be the confidence booster you need to commit to a full-time program.

Tory

1 Like

Thank you. All of you are very helpful. Thanks for all you do and the confidence boost. I am very grateful. I am turning 15 in a couple of weeks and am ready to start training in about a couple of weeks. The instructor is actually an ATP graduate. I am really looking forward to it. Thanks for everything.

Connor