Atrial Fibrillation and FAA First Class Medical Exam Issuance

Good afternoon,

I am currently trying to set myself up to begin aviation training and I recently found out that I have Atrial Fibrillation (A-Fib). I went to my AME for my first class exam (only days later) and he gave me a list of the things that I need completed in order to submit for a special issuance, which I have completed the majority of thus far. I have an echocardiogram scheduled soon along with blood tests and a 24 hour holter monitor test. I am 28 years old and in otherwise great health.

My question is if anyone here has had experience with A-Fib and gaining their first class certificate?

If so, what was your experience and did you have any issues with being able to continue to fly/train?

It is my understanding that A-Fib is unusual for people my age which is highly concerning for me because flying has always been a dream of mine and would be crushed if it disqualified me!

Any information would be super helpful!! Thank you!

Ryan,

Your AME is a better source of information than I am. Have you asked them?

While I don’t have any personal experience with your condition, I do know that typically if you are able to obtain your 1st Class Medical, you won’t need to worry about it being taken away unless the condition worsens.

Tory

Ryan,

There are no issues provided you get your First Class Medical. None of us are AME nor can we give advice on any condition but it’s really pretty simple. Either you have a First Class medical or you don’t. If you can obtain one you’ll be fine (unless as Tory says your condition changes or gets worse). The fact your AME gave you a todo list is encouraging. If your condition was an immediate disqualifier it would’ve been a much shorter conversation and you’d be done. As long as they’re working on it you’re not.

Adam

I had my first class exam a few weeks ago and have been going through the list of requirements - everything else seemed to go smoothly. Once that is complete it will be up to the FAA on whether or not they will accept my request for the class 1. I plan to learn everything I need to know shortly after my echocardiogram tomorrow.

I wasn’t certain if anyone might have personal experience with getting this condition approved. I really appreciate your feedback!!

1 Like