Avaition Related Question

Good morning to airline pilots, my name is Frank DeBenedetti I’m a bit new to this website and I’m aspiring to become an gulfstream 650 pilot. I know this irrelevant, but just had a quick question, still a bit of a novice to this ATP life. Currently I’m a student in college working towards my bachelors degree. Now my degree will be in business not aviation, will that be okay? Last question is can I be an airline pilot then start flying gulfstream 650’s after I allocate enough hours with the airlines.

Frank,

Your degree doesn’t matter so long as you have one. As for the rest I’m going to assume you saw a picture of a G650 or read some article on it and thought it was cool. While many people fixate on flying a particular airplane I think you’ll find if you continue on this journey the actual airplane you fly will become less important in the grand scheme of things.

Questions like what if you found a great corporate gig flying a Global or a Falcon would you turn it down? Would you take a job flying a 650 that required you to be on call 24/7 or relocate? Would you do it for less pay? Work for a lousy demanding and disrespectful boss?

Trust me there are far greater considerations than flying a pretty airplane.

Adam

1 Like

Frank,

The airlines just want to see a four year degree and a decent GPA, they are not terribly concerned with what the major is.

I am with Adam on this, do not focus on trying to fly a specific airplane, they are all pretty darn cool. Focus on the career.

Chris

Frank,

One more thing to add is a G650 position can be very coveted. A lot of time the posted minimums for those jobs look attainable, but the reality is that there are a lot of pilots applying for the same job with far more experience than a newbie would have. You would have to essentially be friends with the owner to receive the offer over all of the other overqualified applicants.

Adam and Chris both said it already, but I’ll say it again. Your quality of life as a pilot is far more important than the plane you’re flying. Stick to that rule of thumb and you’ll be much happier in the long run.

Tory

1 Like

Wow that’s awesome thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Good morning, another question can I still be a pilot if I wear contacts?

Yes. The FAA accepts corrected 20/20 vision.

Good evening to all airline pilots, now I mentioned that currently a freshman in college obtaining my bachelor’s degree in business. Will a business degree look good on my resume? Also why is it that the airlines want a 4 year degree?

Frank,

A business degree is fine (I believe Chris has one?). Major airlines (like many professions) view a 4yr degree as an indication of a certain level of education and more important a demonstration of a person’s dedication and ability to complete a somewhat long term goal.

Adam

1 Like

Frank,

I do have a business degree myself, you will be just fine with that degree. The majors simply want to see that you can be dedicated to something for four years, plus college degrees tend to help make people more well rounded, which also helps make a better pilot.

Think about it, the airlines will hand you the proverbial keys to a multi million dollar airplane, that has the potential to cause hundreds of millions of dollars worth of liability. They want a college educated person up there in charge.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you again guys, I currently work at an airport and I definitely look up to pilots, great information left and right.

Frank,

Anytime, let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Good afternoon hope all is well just had a quick question their is nothing wrong with getting college degree first then starting my flight training after college?

Frank,

Absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. In fact, it is what we often recommend and what I did myself.

Chris

Now I told I would be a pilot at the age of 30 after I’m done with college I plan on getting my private license then going to ATP flight school, is that reasonable age?

Frank,

Yes.
https://airlinepilot.life/t/am-i-too-old-to-be-an-airline-pilot/8062/2

Frank,

Curious where you’re getting that 30 number from? How old are you now?

Adam

Okay so here’s thing I tell myself everyday when I wake up in the morning I’ll be a airline pilot by the age of the 30 right. First I get my bachelors degree, then after college I’ll start my flight training by starting off obtaining my private license, then I plan on going to ATP flight school either to Chicago or Florida. Why those states well I live in Michigan and their isn’t one in Michigan. Any way back to the point then I’ll attend ATP flight school building up my hours. Dream Airline All of Them

Oh yeah I’m 19 by the way, sorry I forgot to mention that

Frank,

That was why I asked and I’m not sure again where you got 30 from. Further I offer the caveat that nothing is guaranteed. That said here’s a more optimistic and actually more realistic time line.

Your 19 and have one year of college done so 3 to go. Finish school and start your training with ATP at 22. Complete the program and build your required time in approx 2.5yrs. That puts you at a Regional airline by 25 not 30. Pretty darn good if you ask me!

Adam