Base choices as a new pilot

I am currently exploring the option of becoming a pilot. I am currently an engineer but have always been interested in aviation. One of my biggest concerns is where I would be based. I know you get a better chance of choosing your base the more seniority you have, but I’m curious what my first few years would look like. I currently live in the western North Carolina region and would like to stay around here. Preferably Asheville, Charlotte, Greenville Sc, Knoxville TN or somewhere near these locations. What do you think the odds of being based near here are right out of school? Are these even desired bases compared to ones in big cities? What are the most desired bases that usually gets took first? Thank you for any information!!!

Cameron,

There is a base in Charlotte for a few airlines, but none in Asheville, Greenville, or Knoxville. I think you would have a reasonable good chance of being based in Charlotte within a few years of meeting the 1,500 hour requirement, but there are no guarantees. Check out this link:

1 Like

Cameron,

The fact is most pilots like to avoid the big cities due to cost of living in them which makes smaller bases more attractive.

The fact is things can and do change so you won’t know exactly where you’ll be based until you actually get hired. You should be able to get anywhere you like within a year but there may be some commuting involved in the beginning.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you this helps so much, I’ve been looking for a map like this!!

Chris,

Any clue why this map doesn’t have Allegiant, Breeze, etc bases? Reason I thought of this is because I believe Allegiant has a TYS base.

Ben

Yes, because it needs to be updated. Thank you for pointing this out.

1 Like