Become a pilot

Hi…so I know little to nothing about flying planes …or any thing about them… But I enjoy flying and traveling… and I do wish to learn to become a pilot… I know it takes time and a lot of training etc to Become one… So I am wondering how does it feel to be one? And what exactly would I learn if I was ever to become one my self… I do have a bit disability ADHD… But I won’t let that get in my way of wanting to learn something new :slight_smile:

Brandon,

Please visit or FAQ section. It will address many common and popular questions. As for how it “feels” I would suspect that’s different for everyone. For me it’s my happy place and feels great.

Adam.

Brandon,

Welcome to the forums. To get a feel for what it is like to fly, check out our “ Flying the line” section as it as a lot of stories about what the job is like.

Before you go any further with this you need to schedule an appointment with an FAA medical examiner for a first class medical. I can tell you that there will be some barriers associated with your ADHD and that many of the prescription drugs will that are used to treat ADHD are not allowed by the FAA.

After successful completion of a medical certificate, you should schedule an introductory flight at your local flight school. It is one thing to think that you want to fly, it is quite another to actually do so.

Chris

1 Like

Hello, Chris.

Actually, I am a junior in High School now. And I have been thinking for taking a trial flight lesson then a medical but since you mentioned the medical first, I was just assuring which one you think I should do first and would benefit me to understand and lay out my plans for next. Thank You!

Moshina,

Unless you have some condition or concern that you might not pass a medical I would definitely do the intro flight first. You don’t need a medical to do the flight but even if you got the medical you’d still want to do the flight.

Adam

1 Like

Moshina,

Our guidance on that has changed, we now suggest the intro flight first, then the medical. As Adam said, if you have any serious medical conditions, then the medical would still come first.

Chris