Begining Training

Hello, My Name in Kris and I am looking to begin training in Long Island hopefully soon, any suggestions for getting started and hitting the ground running (sort of speak) as I am 34 years old and want to make the most out of my training time, any tips, or things I should consider before I get going as my love for aviation has never left me and finally feel its time to get moving. Thanks very much, Kris.

Hey Kris,

Welcome aboard!

Check out these threads for some guidance on where to start:

I personally would get as far ahead as possible with the written exams, if you have some free time. Also the free ForeFlight subscription is a good deal!

Other than that, make sure you get your 1st class medical beforehand.

Let us know if you have any more questions!!

Yarden

1 Like

Kris,

Welcome to the forums and welcome to ATP!
The first thing that I would absolutely suggest is that if you haven’t done so already you go up for an introductory flight. It is one thing to think that you like flying, it is another thing altogether to get behind the yoke of an airplane and see what it really feels like to fly. Call ATP and set up an introductory flight at the Long Island location, it is also a great way for you to tour the school and get a feel for it.

Beyond that Yarden’s advice is spot on. Go get a first class medical from an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner to be sure that you don’t have any health conditions that might affect your ability to fly. Then start in on those written exams.

Be sure to come back here with any questions that you have, we are always happy to help.

Chris

Kris,

You don’t mention if you have any experience? If not, as Chris said that’s Step 1 before ANYTHING else.

Adam

Hey thanks allot for responding so quickly, I do have a few hours logged, and I went an flew with a instructor at ATP Long Island earlier this week, I am waiting to hear from the FAA regarding my First class med card, I had a couple lung issues when I was younger, But the flight surgeon felt this shouldn’t be an issue, just waiting to hear, thanks again, I’m sure ill have more questions to follow.

Thank you very much for responding to me.

I do have a little experience, I love the feeling, just working out the nuts and bolts of everything, thank you very much for responding.

Keep us posted.

Adam

Kristopher,

If the flight surgeon gives you any push back on the First Class Medical be sure to come back here, we have a few resources that we can direct you towards that might be able to help.

Out of curiosity, did you do the BOCES aviation program on Long Island?

Chris

Hello,
The flight surgeon I met with did not seem overly concerned, I had a couple spontaneous collapsed lungs, 13 years ago, and have been fine since. In regards to the BOCES program, I am not familiar with that, I am interested in the ATP Long Island school, I now just await the letter from the FAA to inform me of my next step. Thank you. Kris Lotko.

Hello again, I am still waiting to hear from the FAA on my medical, In the mean time the instructor I flew with in Long Island recommended to start with some course work from ASA private pilot prep-ware,any suggestions on what in particular I should start with, what materials would be best to purchase and study ahead of time, thanks allot. Kris Lotko.

Kris,

My personal favorite introduction to flying book is the Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual, you can find it here: http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/private-pilot-jeppesen.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=simple&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Pilot+Training&adpos=1o1&creative=74939068702&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMH64dzFhNECFUVafgodF6cD_A

That book is really the best reference out there for beginning to learn all about flying, I used it for years and occasionally still reference it if need be.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you very much again for the quick reply, looks good, I appreciate the help.

Anytime, let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Hell again and happy new year,

This may be a tough question, and I’m sure it depends on location but I figured I would ask, I’m looking to train at the Long Island NY facility and In looking for housing most places ask for a one year lease, I would like to stay and do instructing here, but if that’s not possible I will still owe six months, any thoughts on short terms housing options? Thanks allot as always. Kris.

Kris,

Check out Sublet options on craigslist.com, I am currently on a month to month lease that I found on there.

Yarden

Kris,

Out of curiosity, are you from Long Island? I ask because I spent a few years of my childhood in Centerport on the North Shore.

Chris

Chris,

No, I am actually from Central Connecticut, The Long Island branch is the closest to me, though I am thinking about checking out Morristown also. Possibly cheaper rents, though I think It may be more beneficial to train at a busier airport.

Kris,

I think that both airports will be sufficiently busy if that is what you are looking for. Both have a very large corporate jet presence that makes for busy airports.

Chris