Best month to start training in New Jersey?

Hi,
I’m thinking about starting in MMU branch in January, but I was told by some to wait till early Spring to avoid the snow and everything. Is this true?If not, what happens when it heavily snows or when it gets freezing cold? Would the program takes longer due to delays?

Also, if I want to do the written tests before the training, as recommended by many, how many months in advance should I do that?

Thanks

Marwan,

I was an instructor in TTN. While Jersey obviously does get snow, it’s not Colorado and it’s rarely more than occasional. Further the airport authority is generally pretty good at clearing things quickly. When I instructed there it was over the winter (from Nov to April) and I think we maybe lost 2-3 days to snow. As for the cold the airplane heaters work great but they’ve got no air conditioning sooooo…

Now does that mean the winter of 21-22 couldn’t become the snowiest winter in history? Of course not but it also could be one of the driest and the Spring could bring massive winds that will just as easily ground you. Summer brings thunderstorms. What I’m saying is no one can predict the weather and while sure you could get some delays, if you wait you’ll definitely without question finish later.

As for the writtens that’s up to you. The thing to keep in mind is the writtens do expires after 24mos so I’d lock in a start date before I started taking them.

Adam

Marwan,

Check out the write ups on the written exams in the FAQ section. That should give you all of the information you need to know.

Tory

1 Like

Marwan,

Adam pretty much nailed it. I trained at TTN 2017-18 and have been to MMU a few times.

With the 7month program you should be good starting in Jan-March. Incase training gets delayed for any reason, you’ll be finishing up before next winter starts.

Back when the program was 9months I’d say the average finish time was 12months at TTN. Winter, Trump TFRs, DPE shortage and our own delays (checkride bust or other issues) were the main causes. I usually tell people to budget some extra money and a acouple months for delays or some possible retraining just in case.

Feb would be my personal pick.

Chris F

1 Like

Marwan,

If January is your desired start date, then I would start in January. I went to ATP over what became a cold, snowy winter and I finished exactly on time. We flew on days that were well below freezing, in fact it is some of the nicest flying you will have as the air can be very smooth. On snowy days, we worked on simulator work or ground instruction. Flexibility is key, but the same can be true of training in the summer with massive thunderstorms.

Once you lock in a class date, I would start in on the writtens right away. DO NOT delay a class date for the sole purpose of working on the writtens, If you can get some done early, that is great, but the program is designed for them to be completed during the program.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you Adam. I was thinking about just that. Can I access the tests before locking a class date anyway? I thought that you only have access to ground material once you pay.

Thank you everyone for you valuable opinion. I had another question, what is everyone’s take on Cargo like UPS and FedEx? How do they compare to regular airlines as far as pay, stability and hiring process?

Marwan,

You can purchase your own study materials for the writtens. To access ATP’s material, you will need to place your deposit down with ATP.

Cargo airlines like FedEx and UPS are fantastic jobs and are at the peak of the profession. They have great pay, are very stable, and have a very thorough application process.

Chris

Marwan,

Chris is dead on. FedEx and UPS are considered 2 of the top airlines in the country. You’d be fortunate to be hired there.

Adam

So you guys think they would top American, United and Delta?

My opinion on UPS and FedEx is that those are some of the hardest jobs to get because the pay and contracts are so good. I would say job security is pretty. Cargo saw a jump in demand during the pandemic. Other passenger airlines also tapped into the market.

Tory

1 Like

I would put them in the same category as American, Delta, United and Hawaiian.

If you’re asking if they would top those airlines in pay, yes. You can compare the pay rates on airlinepilotcentral.com. But in my opinion I look at overall quality of life and I would rather fly people over boxes. The schedule is more my speed.

Tory

Thanks, Tory

1 Like

Marwan,

“Top” is a subjective term. There are pros and cons to each airline. Boxes to get drunk or refuse to put on their masks, but boxes also don’t mind flying all night long and I do.

It’ll really be up to you to decide what and where you go when the time comes.

Adam

2 Likes