Biology?

Hi All,

I have a question which might come off as rather rude and condescending, however since we are all mature here, I decided to give it a shot. As a undergrad who will major in biology, I have taken courses such as Organic chemistry, Genetics, virology, neurology, microbiology as well as an entire year of high leveler calculus and another year of calculus based physics. So this leads me to believe biology is a much harder degree than most, (I was a business/accounting double major and then a mathematics and computer science major, both double majors and a biology degree is proving to be much harder than those two degrees combined) so this leads me to ask, will I find the ATP curriculum easier since I the classes I have taken have often required me to study for nights on end, and take in massive amounts of information, in very small periods of time? Needless to say most days I study most of the time, will studying in the 9 months of ATP be very similar to my current situation, if that is the case wont I be prepared to do so? Once again, no offense is meant by this post, just sheer curiosity. Thanks for any and all input.

Franciso,

Yes it’s pretty safe to say if you’re intelligent and have good study habits you’ll do well when it comes to the academic aspect of flight training. That doesn’t mean you can fly an airplane or will be a good pilot. There are physical aspects involved like hand/eye coordination etc. which many people find challenging. There are also a variety of “soft skills” like decision making, time management, and interpersonal skills that are as important as the academics.

Short answer, I wouldn’t expect the program to be a cakewalk.

Adam

Francisco,

If you apply your study skills to flying, you will probably do just fine on the studying side of flying. The actual art of flying is another set of skills all on its own, some people pick it up easily, others don’t. I would not expect there to be a correlation between your biology study skills and flying. By the way, I am an International Baccalaureate graduate and I found certain aspects of the program to be rather challenging.

Chris