Bose A20 with Bluetooth or No Bluetooth

Hello All,

I am in need of some advice. I have a start date of February 10th at the Ogden, Utah location. Today I was speaking with an ATP representative from the Training Support Department going over what I should buy and what I should have completed before my start date.

Towards the end of our conversation, I told her that I have decided to buy the Bose A20 headset but did not know if I should get it with Bluetooth or without Bluetooth. She then said, “definitely with Bluetooth.” However, I have read older posts were both Adam and Chris have said to not buy the headset with Bluetooth and another post where Tory said that it would be a nice perk.

So, my questions are: Is Bluetooth still something that you should not get? Or have circumstances changed since the older posts were written and Bluetooth is now recommended?

Side note: I will not be using the Bluetooth feature to listen to music.

Thank you all for your time!

Troy

1 Like

As a personal anecdote I 100% regret not getting the bluetooth. There are definitely uses for it and it really isn’t much more to get it.

1 Like

Good discussion with this post…link above

Troy,

I’ve actually given this a fair amount of thought. Thing is there are definitely times when Bluetooth can come in handy. I also know that while EVERYONE swears they’ll never use it inappropriately in the cockpit, EVERYONE that has it does (not sure if that’s generational?).

Bottomline if you want it, get it and if you’re going to be a pilot who decides which rules they follow and which they don’t that’s also your decision. That of course comes with the caveat that if you’re flying with an old crusty like me and we hear some sweet tunes, see you bobbing your head, or you messing with your iPhone and decide to rip your Bose off your head and throw it out the window you’ve been so warned.

Adam

2 Likes

Troy,

I’ve taken a slightly different stance on my previous statement about Bluetooth. I wish Bose would just get rid of the Bluetooth function altogether. The only function an airline pilot would be able to use the Bluetooth for is calling Dispatch or Maintenance while on the ground with the parking break set. Even then, a cellphone or the radio or ACARS works just fine for that.

The other functions that a Bluetooth Bose offers, i.e. dedicated GPS, traffic advisories, and listening to music are all arguably unnecessary and by the time you get to the airline level, there’s no need for any of the Bluetooth features. The airplane is equipped with the technology that the Bose Bluetooth functions mimic.

Tory

Thank you for all of your responses! I will buy one without Bluetooth.

Troy

The one thing I kinda wanna get the Bluetooth Bose for is for the updates from ForeFlight like when you get close to a runway, enter runway or distance remaining on said runway

Tory, I agree with part of what you said. At the airline level, you’re right. There is no need for ForeFlight callouts etc when it’s routed through to your headset directly from the airplane itself.

However, having spent a little over a year with the BT headset, and considering most people will spend 2-3 years in these aircraft either as a student or a CFI, the benefits outweigh the slight increase in price. That is, if you have the self-discipline required to resist the temptation to use it for music or other unauthorized use. If you don’t, you have no business being in that cockpit but that’s just my opinion. Being a CFI especially, the traffic display is on the other side of the cockpit. Not that it’s a very big cockpit, but still. It’s easier for me to get traffic data/alerts on my iPad and keep us separated while in a congested practice area or traffic pattern. It might seem unnecessary, and I probably would have been fine without it, but it’s a nice plus. I appreciate all the help I can get in the cockpit. Why resist technology when it can make you safer. All it takes is a bit of self-discipline to make sure it doesn’t become a safety hazard.

Happy Halloween y’all! :spider::jack_o_lantern:

That’s my point though. None of those notifications are necessary. A safe and competent pilot doesn’t need to be notified by their Bluetooth Headset that they’re approaching a runway or they’re running out of runway. Those features aren’t used at the airline level either. So, why bother? But I guess if you’d feel better, or cooler, if a soothing voice held your hand while you were flying the plane, Bose sells that option :wink:

Tory

Ya I guess ur right

Efe,

You make a fair argument, but let’s be clear that we’re talking about how the technology is being used, not the technology itself. I could easily argue that it adds another distraction and could invite complacency into the cockpit.

Tory

I see no value at all to the Bluetooth options. Just temptations and unnecessary features. Save your money.

Chris

Since this is within the “training accessories” needed, being a prospected individual with my admission flight this upcoming week, I could wait to ask or just be excited like I am and ask now…

When purchasing training aides etc., do you have to get a “top-notch” brand headset, I currently have a David Clark, will this be sufficient for training and further in career?

Brady,

I am sure that the “Bose at all costs” crown will be along soon, but I personally think that a David Clark headset will be more than sufficient. Let us know how the admissions flight goes.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

You got it! Super stoked to be flying the Archer since currently fly a Cherokee 180 on the daily at home.

Brady

I’m still using the David Clarke headset and it’s been working so far for me

1 Like

Call me soft Chris but I like easy and I like being comfy. I like GPS, I like autopilot, I like not getting used on reserve and I don’t like the puke green vise on my head. BOSE BABY!

Adam

4 Likes

Adam,

I prefer the gray hood. Were you a Foggles guy?

Chris

David Clarks are fine unless you have a cheap pair. The cheap ones that cost less than $250 can get uncomfortable after only 30 minutes.

Tory

I have the David Clark H10-13.4; I know out of pocket during my PPL training it was not bank friendly :sweat_smile: