Building Hours Overseas

I’m an ACPP grad who was grandfathered into the ‘guaranteed’ flight instructor position. However, the wait for indoc is long, so I’ve been applying elsewhere in the meantime. I interviewed and was hired for a CFI position flying Diamond DA40 and DA42 NGs overseas. The pay and benefits are fantastic, the planes are brand new and well-equipped, and overall it seems like a really good gig with a reputable company.
I’m wondering what the cons of this approach may be. I know hours are hours, but concerned that being out of the FAA’s airspace for the entirety of my time-building may hurt my competitiveness once I approach ATP mins.
Anyone on here have any experience building time outside of the US or have an opinion on the matter? Will regional or corporate carriers care where the hours were accumulated? Wondering what other drawbacks I’m not thinking of.
Anyway, thanks to anyone who wants to offer up their opinion!
Kyle

Kyle,

First I applaud your resourcefulness. Most people wouldn’t think to look or even consider flying overseas so kudos. I’ve participated in hiring and though rare I have seen pilots with hours earned overseas and it’s never been a problem. I actually see it as a positive. It shows you’re resourceful and not afraid to apply your skills outside your comfort zone. It’s also likely to provoke some great questions and conversation during an interview which is how you gain favor.

I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Adam

Thanks for your input, Adam! I’m pretty excited about the opportunity and respect your opinion. Hope it all works out.

Kyle,
I agree. It wouldn’t be any different than pilots flying for airlines logging hours internationally. I think it shows more of your resourcefulness. Plus being able to teach oversees with potential language or cultural barriers is a good insight in your ability to work with others… translates to good crew resource management.

-Hannah

Hannah,
Hadn’t thought about the CRM angle…makes sense. Thanks!
Kyle

Kyle,

First off, congrats! Seems like a great opportunity for you. I’m in a similar position to you, I finished the program a few weeks back and I’m looking at other opportunities while I wait for an indoc date with ATP. If you’re willing to share, I’m just curious what your process was to find opportunities outside of the US? Is there a specific website or area that has opportunities available? I’d personally never considered it as a viable option for US trained instructors, but I’m definitely going to look into it.

Thanks,

Roscoe

Roscoe,
I found this position on JSFirm.com. Most of the overseas positions advertised are for experienced pilots, but this CFI position with ZERO dual given came open and I jumped on it. It’s in Saudi Arabia, so not exactly a choice spot but the pay is pretty good and they cover the cost of your apartment and transportation to the airport. I’ve been in the military for over 20 years, so I think I somewhat know what to expect from this sort of arrangement. PM me (does this site have that functionality?) if you want to know more. I’m fairly certain they are looking for more CFIs.
Good luck!
Kyle

Hey Kyle! I agree with folks on resourcefulness and drive… I want to caution you though about working with a particular 141 school that I think you are referring to (they fly somewhere very hot and dry). If that’s the school I’m thinking of, who was hiring CFIs and an assistant chief recently, I teach students from that country and they cautioned me (I was considering the Assistant Chief position) against that outfit. See if you can get some input from folks who have done business with them and how their experience was. Hiring is picking back up and there could be an opportunity stateside very shortly. Since there are no DM functions on this forum, feel free to reach out to me on other social media if you want to know the details.

Sent you a insta follow request

1 Like

Kyle,

The only thing I’d like to add is if you decide to follow through with this, just reference 61.159 when you’re building your time to make sure your time in the airplane is spent wisely. Hopefully the curriculum allows for those requirements to be met. If not, extra time building will be required.

Tory

Kyle,

I do not see any issues at all with this, in fact I think it is a great idea that would really open you up to new experiences and expose you to flying that very few people get to see. Just make sure you will be able to meet the requirements to get a US ATP license when you get to 1,500 hours.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Chris

Yes great point!