Cadet program or flight school

What would be the best option in regards to becoming a pilot? The cadet program or a flight school?

Hamza,

All cadet programs also require you to go to flight school. They simply work with the flight schools as you need to get trained regardless.

Please visit our FAQ section as we outline the process.

Adam

Hamza,

They both lead to the same place. It’s more of a personal preference. When were you planning on getting started? Have you applied for your medical or taken any intro flights? Which cadet programs and flight schools are you interested in?

Tory

Hello Mr. Tony,
I was looking to start after college, but would prefer to start earlier. But, I have not taken intro flights yet and I was looking into delta’s and american airlines cadet program.

If you’re younger, which sounds like you are, we always recommend finishing college first. As always, this is your decision.

Before making any decisions you need to take care of those two things: medical and intro flight.

Then I would suggest doing research about each program that you’re interested in to determine which path feels right for you. I’ll be upfront and say that I’m biased towards ATP because that’s where I went. They pioneered the fast track program and everyone else has modeled their program after them. But that doesn’t mean that ATP is for everyone. We don’t have the information about you to make that decision for you. With enough research and self awareness you should be able to figure that one out for yourself.

Tory

Hamza,

Taking an intro flight is essential. Pondering Delta or American when your haven’t ever taken a flight is like deciding what NBA team you’d like to play for without ever picking up a ball (and no riding in the back on vacation doesn’t count).

Once you do and if you decide to proceed you’ll find both cadet programs will have you attend one if their partner flight schools. Why would you commit to a school that will only channel you towards one specific airline before you even know what they each have to offer and the deals change daily?

Adam

I personally would be very hesitant to commit to an airline before I had even started flight training. You might think that flying for Delta sounds great now, but once you get out into the industry find that American really suits your needs best.

Chris

1 Like