Can a Sabbath Observance be an Airline Pilot?

Hello there!
I am a 17 year old, Orthodox Jewish girl and aspire to be a pilot in the future. I plan on majoring in either aeronautic or mechanical engineering and then going off to flight school. I’ve heard and read a lot about how in the beginning, airline pilots must be ready to work holidays and weekends because schedules are based on seniority. Under other circumstances, this wouldn’t bother me too much. However, as a Sabbath-observer, I cannot travel on Friday afternoons or on Saturdays. Is there any hope of me still being an airline pilot? Would it be religious discrimination if I weren’t able to because of it? And if I were able to be a pilot, do you think there would be hostile feelings from other pilots who would have to work on Saturdays?

Jordy,

This issue was settled by the Supreme Court in Trans World Airlines v. Hardison. You can look up the case yourself, but the gist of it is that the airlines work on a seniority based system and that means that all employees have to work the days that they are awarded. If an airline were to start catering to every religious demand, then they would not be able to operate as there as certainly a lot of Christians that don’t feel they should work Christmas, Easter, etc.

If you aren’t able to work certain days, then you will not be able to be an airline pilot.

Chris

**Hi Jordy, there is some hope I am a Sabbath Observant Pilot while I fly private Charter Jets I do have 2 other friends that just got into airlines and are working there that are shabbat observant. It is still very difficult but not entirely impossible.Aside from airline there might be possibilities in Cargo Airline flying being that some companies don’t fly on the weekends. I’m happy to answer any questions you have regarding aviation etc. currently I fly out of NY-NJ.

Jack,

I’m curious what airlines in the US permit Sabbath observance as I’ve never heard of such a thing?

Adam

Hello again,
So first of all. Jack and Adam, thank you for your answers. Very much appreciated.
Jack, I’ve got a few more questions for you-
What exactly do you do as a charter jet pilot? Which airlines do your friends fly for? And good point about the cargo planes. I mean I’d rather fly people but I could settle for cargo if I really couldn’t fly for airlines. And when you say flying that flying for an airlines is difficult but not impossible, what exactly do you mean? What’s difficult about it? Thanks for all your help!
Jordy

Jordy,

I asked Jack the same questions and he said he “couldn’t say”? The fact is ALL the airlines in the US have seniority based systems which means your days off are based on seniority and nothing. Eventually, after gaining seniority, you could hold Sabbaths off but that’s not going to happen early in your career and it would cause you to delay upgrades, base trades and aircraft movement for YEARS if you waited for the same level of seniority. I’m not trying to be a naysayer but I’m also not going to give you false hope either.

Adam

I would also point out that while Ameriflight might not have scheduled operations on the Sabbath, I can guarantee you that is a flight is late, or an aircraft needs to be repositioned, they will operate seven days a week. A refusal to operate one of these flights would lead to serious consequences, including termination of employment. Furthermore, I do not think you would be pleased with an entire career at Ameriflight.

The big cargo carriers like FedEx and UPS operate 365 days per years, no exceptions, as do all US based airlines.

Thank you all for your help. As hard as it makes it, your honesty is definitely appreciated. I’ll have to continue investigating.

Hi Jack,
I’m Sabbath observant and interested in becoming a commercial pilot. Would you mind sharing your email so that I can be in touch with further questions I have

Kayla,

The answer is no. ALL airline pilot schedules are based on seniority and giving a pilot the Sabbath (or any other set schedule) day off would be a violation of that. Eventually, once you build seniority you could bid and hold Sabbaths off but that could take a while and would never be guaranteed.

Adam

Hi there ,

Mac.attali@gmail.com