Can I become an airline pilot with a dui?

Joshua,

I had to go through it a couple of months back. Here is part of an email from my AME of what I needed to submit:

1. Arrest record or some other document that gives the breath alcohol level. If the breath alcohol level was 0.15 or less I can issue the certificate. If greater than 0.15 or if there is no record of the breath alcohol level I might have to defer certification. The FAA will likely still issue the certificate but they will need to review everything and determine if you can be issued the certificate or if more information is needed. This process takes several months so I hope the breath alcohol is less than 0.15 so I can issue the certificate at the time of your exam. It is possible, since this was 13 years ago, that I can issue the certificate if the breath alcohol level is unavailable or above 0.15, but I would need to call the FAA first and review. We’ll work it one way or another.

2. All court documents pertaining to the DUI and how it was adjudicated and case closed.

3. A ten-year driving record, including the driving record from each state where you have held a driver’s license in the last ten years.

4. Certificates of completion for any rehab or alcohol awareness programs you have completed.

5. A detailed personal statement that includes all of the following information:

a. What type of offense occurred?
b. What substance(s) were involved?
c. State or locality or jurisdiction where the incident occurred
d. Date of the arrest, conviction and/or administrative action,
e. Description of circumstances surrounding the offense.
f. Describe the above for each alcohol incident. If no other incidents, this should be stated.

g. Your past, present and future plans for alcohol or drug use.
When did you start drinking? How much? How often?
How much, how often were you drinking at the time of the incident(s)
How much, how often do you drink now? If abstinent, state date.

h. Any negative consequences (legal complications, medical complications such as blackouts, pancreatitis or ER visits)

i. Include any other alcohol or drug offenses, (arrests, convictions, or administrative actions) even if they were later reduced to a lower sentence.

j. Treatment programs you attended ever in your life (if none, this should be stated)
Dates of treatment
Inpatient, outpatient other
Name of treatment facility

k. Current recovery program (if any) If you attend AA or other, please list and frequency. If no recovery program, this should be stated.

This is a very detailed report and your report should cover all these items and should include your printed name, signature, the date of the document and your date of birth.

After everything was submitted, my application still had to be deferred to the FAA because my arrest records were purged from the system and I have no record of my BAC. A little over 3 months later, my First class medical was approved and sent in the mail. I believe that this is a standard template. I hope this helps.

Ben

1 Like