Can I work full time and become part time private pilot?

Hi,

I am currently fully employed by a global business brand and make pretty good money for my age but am seeking something more.

I have a college degree but don’t have flight experience. I have signed up for intro to flying lesson this summer, but from the other forum posts it seems as though there haven’t been a lot of people seeking this part time so I was wondering if that is an option and any advice you may have.

Thanks in advance!

Kasey,

If your only goal is to fly recreationally and get your Private then sure you can train part time. There’s no rush if it’s just for fun. Just know training part-time and without consistency will take you considerably longer and cost you much more money than if you were to train full-time.

Adam

Adam,

That’s very helpful to know. Is there a typical rate or salary for part time? Wondering if the return on flight school investment makes sense in my current status.

Thanks!

Kasey,

I’m a little confused by your question? If your desire is to be a PRIVATE PILOT there is no rate or salary as PRIVATE PILOTS can only fly recreationally and cannot get paid to fly.

Unless you’re talking about becoming a COMMERCIAL PILOT and flying for a private owner or corporate? If that’s the case then again you could train part-time but to earn the required licenses and ratings it would take you years. As far as the salaries go for flying corporate or for a Private they can range considerably depending on the airplane and the owner. There are pilot’s making $50K flying piston twins to $500k flying G5s and Globals.

Adam

Okay, that makes sense. I misunderstood private vs. commercial, but your below clears that up for me.

Thank you!

Hi Adam,
also looking to work full time and start part time training.
Assuming M-F evening classes and weekends.
You say considerably longer and much more money… can you elaborate on that?

Cheers,
Tim

Timothy,

Sure. In flight training every skill builds on the last which makes consistency critical. Now if you were to fly EVERY night Mon-Fri and EVERY weekend the no it really wouldn’t cost you any extra money or time. Problem is most local flight schools are not sufficiently equipped or staffed to facilitate this.

First when you first start out evenings are out as basic flight training needs to be done during the day with favorable weather. So in the beginning you’ll be talking weekends. So you fly Sat and Sun and things are good. The next week however the weather is bad so you’re not going up. The weekend after the plane is out for maintenance, week after that the instructor is unavailable. Those 30+hrs of training you were anticipating turned into 3 or 4 and you’ve forgotten everything you learned. I don’t know what you do for a living but ever get stuck at work? Ever just have a really long tiring day? How effective do you think your training will be after that. The reality is many people try and balance life and flight training (myself included) and it simply doesn’t work. There’s a reason why the airlines and the military train every day. It’s because it’s efficient and works.

Adam

Tim,

If you can actually keep up that schedule, then it will probably not cost you too much extra money. The problem with smaller flight schools is that just because you are available, does not mean that they are. There will be other students, issues with instructor and airplane availability, and so forth. Also, your own life will undoubtedly get in the way as well. All of these delays, will end up with you paint more money and encountering delays in your training.

Chris

I thought I could train and work at the same time. 6 years later I have a grand total of about 130 hrs. I have a friend who got his PPL last spring, his instrument last fall and is working on his commercial now. He has a good paying job and is often at home by noon. I have owned several small businesses that demanded a lot of hours( sometimes getting only 2-3 hours of sleep. I actually quit flying completely for a while because I simply didn’t feel like I could do it safely. My point is everything pretty much depends on your job, (pay and hours), available airplanes and instructors in your area and your dedication to finishing your training. If you really like your job you can try it but if you’re serious about a career at the airlines I wouldn’t be wasting a lot of time. I am only a private pilot just giving you my 2cents.

Adam, Chris, James…
Very much appreciate the time and follow through.
Let me mull it over and I will undoubtedly have more quesitons.

Cheers,
Tim

No problem, let us know what else we can do for you.

Chris