Ceiling at age 35

Good evening,

I signed up for a tour at ATP Long Beach for next Monday. I went over the forum for last couple of days and it looks like my age isn’t issue. At age 35, I’m in position of starting all over again no matter what industry I go into after spending nine years in Korea. If I start my training from zero hour in the summer, what do you think my potential ceiling as an airline pilot will be? Will I be able to become a captain of 787 at a major? Or should I be more realistic and aim for smaller planes like A320 and 737?

Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin,

The top positions like 787 captain and such are held by those pilots who are very senior and this hired when they were very young. Unfortunately st your age, I simply do not see that happening at a major airline for you. I could see you easily becoming a captain on something smaller like the 737. This is all very difficult to tell though as it depends on so many outside variables.

Chris

2 Likes

Kevin,

There’s nothing wrong with having a preferred aircraft in mind, even if you’ll never be able to fly it. I don’t know how likely a 78 will be for you, but you never know. You could get hired at an airline around the same same an order of 78s are made and get hired into it.

That said you’re at least 10 years away from being in a situation where this may become a reality. What you should focus on now is becoming the best pilot you can be. Hold yourself accountable and don’t bust any check rides.

Tory

2 Likes

Plausible, yes. Starting from zero at 35 might result in a long reserve time once you finally make it to that point in your career, or find yourself waiting and waiting before seniority allows for that opportunity. It’s great to have goals and aim high. I would keep an open mind and be realistic. After quite a few years or so, your priorities might change and what goes into flying WB simply might not be congruent with your lifestyle. Focus on a foundation, keep your nose clean, and strive for good quality of life.

2 Likes

Kevin,

You will find as you progress through your career your priorities and goals can and most likely will shift. No disrespect but you just signed up for a tour and have ZERO flight experience and you’re wondering what plane you may or may not be flying 20yrs from now?

Your goal for now should simply be to be successful in your training. Beyond that you want to build your time and get hired. While I understand and appreciate your desire to set certain goals, again I promise you that will change. Want to be a heavy Capt? You could absolutely do that at an airline like Atlas. That also means being gone for weeks at a time and making less than narrowbody guys at United. The 787 is a sexy new plane but by the time you’re ready they’ll be 777Xs,797s and A370s. The 787 may very well become the 75/767 of your time and then sure you can be a Capt on it. Make sense?

Focus on that 172/Archer for now, do well and then we can start talking heavies :slight_smile:

Adam

3 Likes

Chris,

Thanks for your honest opinion. I’ll try to stay focused on each stage of my training once I start. The variable(or obstacle) at this point is the amount of financing. I know the loan amount differs from person to person, but do you think the full financing is the option a lot of people take?

Kevin

Tory,

Thanks for your opinion and advice. I saw your post from PAE and that campus is actually high on my list because I consider Edmonds my American hometown. Speaking of the check ride, do you think the commute distance and traffic condition on the day of check ride may affect a student’s performance? If I start at Long Beach, my commute distance will be nearly 30 miles.

Kevin

Arthun,

Thanks for your opinion and advice. I’ll keep that in mind.

Kevin

Adam,

Thanks for your opinion and inputs. I didn’t get offended or felt disrespected when I was reading the last sentence of your first paragraph :slight_smile:. Not related to aviation at all but since you said you’re from Bronx, I want to ask one more question. Are you a Yankees fan??

Kevin,

Many people take out the full amount to finance their flight training (I did). Talk to the admissions department, they can be a help on this.

Chris

Kevin,

Of course any external factor can affect checkride performance. But that is just life. Part of being a pilot is learning how to compartmentalize stress and keep it out of the cockpit.

Chris

Kevin,

If you grow up in the Bronx and you’re not a Yankee fan you get beat up so yes, I’m a Yankee fan.

Adam

Kevin,

I don’t think a 30 minute commute is too far. My commute was 45 minutes when I was a student. The body will adjust.

Tory

@Adam, @Chris, @Tory

Thank you all. I really appreciate it!

1 Like