CFI job at ATP

I have a few questions about working for ATP as a CFI.

First off, assuming I was living in the instructor housing that ATP provides, would the salary as a CFI be enough to live on? By this I mean just getting by, basically being able to make small payments on my loan, while paying for food, some gas, and housing. If not, would it be smart to have a second job during this period?

Next, what kind of a timeline can a student expect from their last day of training in the Airline Career Pilot Program to the first day being a paid employee for ATP? I’d like just a general idea, to know what amount of cash to keep on hand. My guess would be about a month or so. Thanks!

1 Like

Jonah,

I feel that ATP’s CFI salary is generous enough to allow people to live while flight instructing. Of course it is all a matter of how you spend your money, but I was certainly able to make it and CFI pay was considerably lower when I did it. I don’t think that you will be buying any Maseratis, but you should not have any problem meeting your basic needs.

I think your answer of a month is right. Of course you could always hit a gap where you finish right as a standardization class is starting, but the classes run every few weeks. Keep a month on hand and you should be fine. Of course extra cash on habd never hurt :slight_smile:

Chris

Hey Jonah,

I recently broke the CFI pay down here for a fellow future aviator. Feel free to check it out and add any questions you have.

As to the gap between the program and employment, you will be offered a job once you finish your initial CFI checkride (with 2 CFI addons still remaining, meaning you are not yet finished with the program). This allows you to choose a date that suits you the best, be it immediately after finishing, or with some time off. Of course it depends on class availability, but that usually isn’t an issue.

Yarden

1 Like

Jonah,

ATP’s instructor pay has come up considerably since I was a CFI there and I was able to make do. As long as you can your expenses reasonable you should be fine.

Adam

Gotcha. Not planning to be buying much other than basic living expenses. Just want to make sure it is feasible with loan payments. Sounds like it is manageable. Thanks!

Jonah,

It definitely is, particularly if you factor in the Tuition Reimbursement available.

Adam

Hey Chris,

Just to follow up on all of this, as a CFI with ATP am I responsible to pay for the cost of the airplane for the day? Insurance? Or anything along those lines? I know with some companies I am, not sure with ATP…

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to assist us!

Kind regards,
Austin

Austin,

Nope, you will not pay for anything other than your personal equipment. In contrast, you will be paid to fly ATP’s airplanes as one of their CFIs. Their airplanes are remarkably well maintained, I felt lucky to get to fly such nice airplanes.

Post your questions anytime you think of them, we are always happy to help :slight_smile:

Chris

Austin,

In short no and honestly I’m not aware of any flight schools that charge the instructor for the cost of the airplane. Some do however require you to get insurance but again that’s not the case at ATP.

Adam

Thank you Chris! I am glad to hear it, I am really excited :slight_smile:

Adam,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! There are a few local companies out here in AZ that require you pay for the use of their airplane and it kind of threw me off… Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Austin,

I have never heard of a school asking the CFI to pay for use of the airplane. I would stay far away from any of those schools, something is amiss there.

Chris

Austin,

What flight school are you talking about? Curious because I instructed out in AZ for a while.

Yarden

Hey Yarden,

I’m not sure if it is a school or not but over here at Falcon Field, they charge you to rent their airplane… Not sure if I misinterpreted it, was misinformed, or if they truly charge you… It is in Mesa, AZ.

Are you talking about Classic Air Aviation?

No, I wasn’t…

Do ATP pay for travel expense (flight) for going CFI school?

Earv,

ATP will pay for your travel expenses like flights and hotels for going to CFI school, but not for expenses like food.

Chris

Thomas,

Every one of my moves as a CFI was at my request as I was getting closer to my home with each move. ATP will not relocate you unless you ask them to.

Chris

Thomas,

When Chris was an instructor he was basically a big pain in the butt and was ALWAYS whining and getting himself moved looking for “better” locations (like if he heard another instructor flew .5hrs more than he did). The vast majority if us mere mortals stay at the same location for the duration :slight_smile:

Adam

3 Likes

If starting from zero flight experience, how many flight hours are required to be eligible to take the final CFI certification tests and checkride? ATP generally gives a timeline of 9 months for their program but i haven’t found any hard numbers on this