Bob,

That’s because that requirement doesn’t exist. Even the initial CFI rating,
in terms of flight time, only requires the applicant to have a CPL or ATP
certificate.

Tory

Here’s the timeline:

https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flight_training.html

Adam

Thank you Adam and Tory for the responses. Since there’s no strict number of flight hours…atp has laid out steps they like to follow before the certification tests, but if I didn’t do atp is it simply whenever I and the given school feel that I’m adequately prepared to take the certification tests?

What is the fastest I could possibly become a cfi from no experience if exclusively focused on training?

Bob,

Again the CFI rating does not have an hour requirement but in order to be a CFI you must as Tory said have at least your Commercial Pilot License and that requires a minimum of 250hrs. Now to earn you CPL you will first have to earn your PPL which requires a minimum of 40hrs. What you need to keep in mind is the initial CFI is arguably the single toughest checkride there is. The reason is because the FAA is giving you their blessing to take someone up with ZERO experience and train them. This is not a responsibility the FAA takes lightly. Now ATP has worked out a system that will take your from zero to CFI in 9mos. The FAA examiners know ATP has been successfully preparing their students to accomplish this for 30+ years. What you need to understand is that the FAA doesn’t just hand out licenses and ratings and they also don’t appreciate your desire to be “the fastest”. This is LEARNING TO FLY AN AIRPLANE, not just punching a clock and if you were to show up with 3, 4, 5 mos of instruction in your log book because you flew as much as possible to get to the magic 250hrs and you’re thinking the FAA is going to say great job you may be for a VERY big shock.

ATP currently says it’ll take 9mos and I believe that is the fastest you can SAFELY and EFFECTIVELY due the required training.

Adam

How likely are you to be hired as a CFI in the same area you trained (Dallas)? I saw Chris saying he moved slowly closer and closer to home.

Also, are you required to be a CFI for ATP or are you able to apply and work as CFI else where instead and/or concurrently?

Lindsay,

Hard to say. All depends on ATP’s needs at the time. This is true for airlines as well.

It is not a requirement to work for ATP. However, if you change your mind and decide you want to come back, you’ll have to reapply for the position.

Tory

Lindsay,

ATP allows you to chose any location you want to instruct. BUT, you need to understand the location you want may or may not have an open slot when you’re ready (and they’re not going to overload any location, that’s not good or fair for anyone) so you may have to wait till your location becomes available. During that time you can either wait or go to another open location until your choice opens up.

As for instructing elsewhere this is America and you can of course instruct anywhere you like.

Adam

Okay, awesome!
Thanks so much Tory and Adam! That definitely makes sense, I will probably try to do what Chris did if i dont get my home location right away. :slight_smile:

Is it possible to work as a CFI for ATP and for another company to get more time and money? Im not sure how the scheduling at ATP works if youre “available” all day or pre-booked certain times/days with certain students. Also i saw that if you work different amounts of flight hours a month your pay per hour increases. How do you work more hours, do you just request to and get it or is it on a more demand basis?

Is it possible? Yes. It depends on the job. I knew a CFI that flew right seat in a Citation about every other week. Would I recommend it? No. If you have time to fly, fly with your students or do ground.

Flight time is mostly influenced by how many students you have assigned to you and how much stamina you have. Another way to pick up extra flying is by offering to fly with other CFI’s students. We used to do that all the time at ATP SAC. It was mandatory to put students through a mock check ride for the private, instrument and commercial check rides.

Tory

While it may be “possible” your first priority should be to ATP and your students. The same way you want YOUR instructor to be available to you full time, you’re students deserve and want the same level of attention.

Adam

1 Like