Changing Careers after 50!

Good day to all. As I ponder a career change at almost 54 years old I have to ask. Do you think it would be worth my while to become an airline pilot this late in the game?

1 Like

That’s a very subjective question. The biggest thing to consider is that mandatory retirement is 65. If you go through ATP, and then work as an instructor, it will take you right around 2 years to get your certificates and get the 1500 hours you need to get an ATP certificate. You’d have about 9 years of flying left. Could you work at a regional or at a corporate airline? Yes. Are you ever going to get hired by a major airline? Nope. So, that being the case would it be worth it?

I’m pretty sure the mentors will chime in on this. The question, “If it’s worth it?” Ultimately depends on you and your goals. It takes roughly 2-3 years to obtain all your ratings and reach the required 1500 hours to be hired by an airline. Once you land a job at a regional, you would have around 8-9 years to fly. In that time you could upgrade to captain (depending on the circumstances) and have a nice career. I suggest looking at the FAQ section, as there is plenty of information regarding this.

Am I too old to be an Airline pilot??

-Steven

Thank you Brian.

Jim,

The others have answered this pretty well. You don’t mention and flight experience so we’ll assume you have none. It really is a matter of your goals and being realistic about your expectations. Financially it’s a tough one. During training you won’t be working and the first few years you won’t make much at all. If this is a bucket list item and something you’ve always wanted to do then it may very well be worth it as you can’t really put a price on that. I know a few people who have and they seem pretty happy.

Adam

Jim,

This really depends on what your goals are and what you consider to be worth it. From a financial standpoint, this is probably not the best decision as flight training is expensive and it takes a few years in the industry to earn a good income. From a personal perspective, that is really up to you. Your career will be limited by the mandatory retirement age of 65 and there are very few options after that point. However, if you just absolutely want to fly, then yes, it could be a great move. I personally think this is one of the greatest jobs out there.

Chris

I’m glad I saw this post because I also want a career change at the age of 38. Will it be worth it & the debt ? Will Jobs be available along with benefits.

Virginia,

At 38 you could still have a good 25yr career. Since the average pilot at a Major earns $200k+ (and top earners making $400+) financially if you’re successful it will make sense.

As for jobs demand varies. Prior to Covid there was a massive pilot shortage and jobs were plentiful. That of course changed with the pandemic. All indications say the shortage will return but there are no guarantees. Regardless there are always jobs out there if you’re flexible and are willing to look for them.

I encourage you to visit our FAQ section where we discuss this and many other common questions.

Adam

Chris Thank you for your response. Cost wise is not a concern, I’m good or wouldn’t even consider it. I’ve always wanted to fly but earlier in age I got into the Electrical trade which has been very rewarding and lucrative for me.

Now it’s time to FLY!! thank you for your input.

Jim Slattery

Virginia,

That is really up to you. Please check out the FAQ section as it has a detailed post that addresses your question.

It really depends on you and what you define as being “worth it”. Short answer is at your age, you could still have a rather long and rewarding career ahead of you.

Chris

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help and it is a good career.

Virginia,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

1 Like

Hey Jim, I just turned 50 in November. I’m looking into ATP also. I am a dental hygienist, but the pay isn’t enough anymore. What are your current thoughts on my switching careers to fly? Are you still in the process?

Alvin,

What you do with your life is of course entirely up to you.

While it’s not too late for you to fly professionally, at 50 you do need to be realistic about your expectations. If you started today, I’m approx 2yrs you could be at a Regional making you 52-53 and leaving you with only 12-13yrs to fly. That’s simply not enough to for you to advance to the point where you’ll be a widebody Capt at a Major making the really big money.

That said if it’s something you think you’d enjoy then by all means. Thing is if you’re only doing for the money you need to know things can and do change and if they stall you might not be making what you think you will. If you’re doing it because you enjoy aviation that’s not a problem but if it’s to get paid you might not be happy.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I realize time is limited all things considered. A patient recently asked me if I could start over, what career would I chose? I said I’d be a bush pilot in Alaska. Obviously not for the money… hahaha, but for the excitement and adventure. Taking other people to their adventures. My life has more obligations now. I still love the idea of taking people to their adventures, I need to make 50% more than now, I still want the variety and excitement, but I only want to be in Alaska in the Summer. Not sure if I want to do commercial, cargo, or corporate, but first I need to put myself in proximity to win and have the opportunity.

Alvin,

I am not sure what a bush pilot makes or what a dental hygienist makes, but I suspect that you would be taking a pay cut to become a bush pilot. I would do some serious research on the career before deciding to switch.

Chris

1 Like

Alvin,

Not sure if you have the cash saved up, but if not factor in how long it would take you to pay off the loan. Regional pay is at an all time high but with the limited amount of years, it could be hard to justify it financially unless you have most or all of it paid for upfront. It will take two years until you’re back on a salary you can live off of. From there, starting pay at the regionals is about 90/hr. Then you’ll be in the ball park of $100k before tax.

Hannah

1 Like

Thank you Hannah, my only saving grace is Voc. rehab through the VA. Still waiting on that application response.