Changing Domiciles

Hi guys,

I am very excited to be starting at ATP Scottsdale next month! I’ve been spending some time trying to wrap my head around what life will be like as an airline pilot and this forum has been a huge help! I did have a couple questions about seniority and domiciles. I know this is dependent on seniority but are there usually enough openings at crew bases for new hires to chose between a few domiciles or are you basically assigned to a base as the low man on the totem pole? Also, are you able to change your crew base fairly easily once you’ve built up seniority or does that place you back down on the bottom of the seniority list? Since I’m young and single I think it could be kinda fun to move around between different domiciles of the airline but I wasn’t sure how that worked. Another thing I was curious about, would a reserve pilot who doesn’t live in their crew base have to commute to the base pretty much everyday they are on call? I imagine it’d be pretty hard to respond to a call within a couple hours if you were in a different city so I wasn’t sure how reserve pilots managed commutes.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice!

Tyler,

Tricky question to answer because it can vary considerably from airline to airline. However, from what I’ve been told the Regionals are so short that you can pretty much choose the base you like in most cases. Now while your seniority doesn’t change regardless of your base your seniority WITHIN the base often does and will effect your relative seniority for schedules etc…

Adam

Tyler,

Your domicile question really depends on what airline you get hired with and what their seniority situation is. At United for example, new hires are usually able to pick between SFO and EWR, while it can take some time to get to ORD and even longer to get to CLE. Your seniority in a base is determined by your overall seniority, which never changes and follows you wherever you go. Now, that seniority might buy you more in one base than another, but it is still your seniority. For example, I can hold Captain in EWR, but I cannot do so in IAD. If I do finally get to IAD, I will be the low person in base, not because I am new to the base, but because it is a more senior base.

Clear as mud?

Oh ok that makes sense, transferring from a more junior base to a more senior base will make you feel more junior than you were. Once you are in a position with an airline, say a reserve pilot at one base, is there an amount of time that you are obligated to stay in that same position or can you bid for a new base and line/reserve every time? I know it’d be unrealistic to change every time but it’s interesting to learn how it all works

Typically one can change bases as often as they like as there is really no cost to the company for the pilot doing so. Changing aircraft is generally limited to once every two years.

While on the topic. Chris, would you like to change your base in the forecast of your future?

I would love to be ORD based and liven Michigan, but my kids are in Virginia, so right now EWR works best for me.

I could never understand why Chicago would be so senior. NYC area is lovely place to live. Especially NJ.

Thick pizza?

Adam

1 Like

Daniel,

I am not sure if you are kidding or not, but Newark has always been our junior base, for a lot of reasons.

Chris

1 Like

Not newark for obvious reasons (That is a death wish) But North Bergen is a beautiful area. Which is why I’m surprised that it would be such a Junior base

I lived in Ramsey (Bergen County) for a year. While it is nice, it is one of the most expensive counties in the country to live in. There are a lot of other areas that offer the same (or better) standard of living for significantly less money, hence Newark being a junior base.

1 Like

I guess that true. I’ve lived in Paramus my whole life and it is very expensive. I enjoy the quality of life here myself. I’m 20-30 min away from the city. I have all 3 airports within 20 miles. I drive 1 hour and I’m at a beach. I find it very comfortable. But as you said Bergen is very expesive (and ranks top 10 most expensive counties in the country, which is because it’s considered NYC area. 10 miles away.) and I understand that everyone has a different opinion. I can’t see myself living anywhere else.

Daniel,

What you need to understand is once you get out of NY Metropolitan area many many people in the other 47 states have never been to that Region. In addition to being very expensive they believe it’s the land of the Sopranos, Jersey Shore, the Reverend Al, the Warriors, Gotti, etc. People are rude and you’ll probably get mugged, beaten and sent home in a body bag during the cab ride from the airport. Summers are hot and Winters are harsh, traffic is horrendous, and the subways have rats the size of cars. Nice place to visit and see a show but otherwise it’s viewed as uninhabitable. While I appreciate it’s “home” to you (and me) the place literally scares the heck out of many folks. The good news is it is (AND ALWAYS WILL REMAIN) a junior base. For folks like us that’s a VERY good thing. Since everyone can’t wait to get out of there you’ll have no problem getting the base, staying in the base and watching your relative seniority increase quickly. The moral of the story is let them talk and stay away. It’s our secret :wink:

Btw, for the record the beaches are nothing to brag about.

Adam

1 Like

I know the beaches are nothing to brag about. But it’s a beach at the very least. And NJ is very nice. In Bergen county you feel safe. Lots of nice towns and places for everyone to enjoy. I never felt unsafe here once. Now when we talk about NYC as a whole that’s a different story. Same for Newark. I would not step foot in Newark unless I was going to the airport (But if it’s your home and you see it differently, then thats fine with me. All have different opinions)

Daniel,

Most people like their home areas, but that doesn’t mean that everybody else needs to. I tried Jersey, it didn’t work for me (and doesn’t for most everybody that wasn’t born and raised there), but I am glad you like it and as Adam said, you will never have any difficulty being based there.

Chris

1 Like

Yeah long story short…personal preference and and it’s a matter of where you grew up I guess.

Yes, that is correct. Also keep in mind that there are people who call Newark and Rockland home too, I would not be so quick to disparage them.

1 Like

Agreed. I rephrased my statement.