Changing name on medical certificate

I’m starting on 10/31 and found out I had to change my medical certificate so it matches my passport and license. Both of them have my middle name and my medical did not. ATP admissions and my AME gave me the generic phone number for the aeromedical center in Oklahoma. I called them several times a day for weeks and kept getting a high call volume call us back later message.

I dug around for anyone else I could call and finally I saw something on Reddit that suggested calling your FSDO. They couldn’t do anything to fix the medical but said to try my regional FAA administration office as there are aeromedical staff there.

Called and boom, got it changed and a new one emailed to me no sweat. So for anyone else that may run into this problem, try your regional administration office.

2 Likes

Ryan,

Interesting to know, thank you for sharing. What location are you starting at?

Chris

Morristown, NJ

Ryan,

Good thinking!

I had the same issue when I started. My TSS called a few local DPEs and asked for any contacts of people they knew in the Oklahoma City office. I got an email for one of the administrators and got mine fixed within the day.

Just another option for anyone that doesn’t live near a regional FAA office.

Hannah

Ryan,

I’ve seen a few students in this similar boat, I think the problem lies when applying for the medical during the MedXpress application. When the application gets printed if there is no middle name the certificate won’t have a middle name.

Contacting the local AEA regional office in my opinion is much quicker than Oklahoma City. I think all you have to do is fax over a copy of a legal document with full name and they can update it.

Goodluck at Morristown, I have a few friends there now that are instructors, great crew!

Brady

I’m trying to fix this issue right now – thanks for sharing your shortcut here. How did you find the number to your local FAA regional office? I went here for mine but it just goes straight to voicemail:

What’s the local AEA regional office?

Hass,

That will vary depending on where you live:

Brady

Hass,

If you’re having trouble with the regional office, try reaching out here:

This should be the medical certification department in Oklahoma City. I would email a copy of your medical and clearly explained what needs to be changed. Then follow up with a phone call.

Hannah

Thank you, this is something I need to do as well.

Kristen

Kristen,

Glad some of this information helped you! Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help.

Brady