Charter International Flights

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying some amazing flying. I am getting closer to finalising things for an enrolment date a little later this year. I suppose that is one of the drawbacks of coming from a different career, or that there is the need to get things in order before you make the big leap.

Anyway, here’s my question: How often do charter flights go international?

Would love the chance to do some international flying if I go on the charter side of things, which I find really attractive given the block flying, if I have the chance. But was unclear if it was mostly domestic routes from my research.

As always, a big thank you for any insight you can provide.

Finn

Finn,

Simple question with a simple answer. There are charter companies that fly internationally and other that don’t. If you fly for one that for does you will, if you don’t you won’t.

Adam

Finn,

I would say the vast majority of charter companies fly domestically, with a touch of Canada, Mexico and the islands thrown in there. Most do not seem to fly transoceanic as most corporate jets do not have the range to do so.

Interesting side note, the airlines actually do a fair amount of charter flying as well. Instead of the one well off person and their family, celebrities, etc, we tend to fly sports teams and military charters. It makes for some interesting flying and certainly a break from the normal.

Chris

Finn,
It depends on the company! Start by researching the biggest 135 operators, the Netjets, FlexJet, Jet Linx… FlyExclusive where I worked has a whole separate operational division called FlyExclusive international and you guessed it, it’s all international on Gulfstreams. So my point is, Yes it’s out there. The biggest indicator for those companies more likely to do international flying, the type of airplanes in their fleet. If they have citation X, Gulfstreams, Globals, etc. all those have the range to make it across the pond. The CJs, Excel, encores, sovereigns are mostly used for domestic and limited international like Canada, Mexico and the islands. With that being said, the bigger airframes that go international will also be a career goal, as it takes years of experience and many smaller type ratings before you’ll find yourself in one of those. Not tying to be a downer, just want you to have realistic expectations!

-Hannah

Straight to the point, Adam. Very much appreciated. Happy Hawaii flying!

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. That is what I suspected from my research. I did not realize that airlines did charter flights like that. I suppose it makes sense when you talk about it being military and sports teams. I seem to remember my dad talking about flying charter to Vietnam back in the day when he was in the Army during the war. I remember being stunned that he arrived in a war zone on a commercial carrier.

Have a great day, and happy flying!

Finn

Hi Hannah,

As always, a big thank you for your insights. I have been reading about the big charter operators, putting together a profile on wages, equipment, and anything else I can find. I know most people shoot for the airlines, but I have been really drawn to charter flying. I think it fits my temperament really well.

You mentioned that you did not want to be seen as a “downer.” I never feel like any of you are. Your honest opinions are so appreciated. I would much rather have the unvarnished truth; it allows me to make rational decisions on my future. So, a big thank you to you, and everyone else on the forum who share their experience so openly with all of us aspiring pilots.

Quick question: with the recovery starting, is your plan to stay on the charter side, or will you make the jump to the airline? I read in your profile that you original goal had been Skywest, so just curious.

Okay, one more question: when you say “the islands,” I assume you are talking about the Caribbean basin, is that correct? No complaints on the occasional trip to Antigua.

Have a great day!

Finn

Finn,
It’s funny you should ask… I actually start Indoc tomorrow with Skywest. I loved my charter job but I’m still young and there is so much career potential
I still want to explore on the 121 side. I know the charter side will always be there if I want to go back to it but if I want to go to the airlines, the time is now.
Yep! The islands, I meant the Bahamas mostly and even out to Puerto Rico. We did a lot of that flying my last month or so there.

-Hannah

1 Like

Congratulations!

That’s really exciting news. I know a few pilots that got their start at Skywest before moving on to places like Southwest. One even long enough ago that he flew the Brasília. I’ve heard great things about the company and wish you all the best.

-Finn

Hannah,
Congratulations, enjoy the change of pace of the 121 experience. Take all opportunities to travel as you will someday have more commitments and less time than you do now to enjoy personal travel that is part of the benefit of working for an airline!
Aloha,
Hobie

Thank you so much @hobieinjax and @Finn! I’ll post updates on training as I can!

Fantastic! We look forward to hearing how it goes.

Hannah,

Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing how training is going.

Derek

Hannah,

Awesome news about Skywest and congratulations!!! Please keep us in the loop of your training, curious to hear about the differences that may exist between your 135 and soon to be 121 experiences.

Brady