Choosing an ATP Location based on fast track program entries

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and am looking to start training in the next couple years, most likely through ATP. I have been researching several flight schools and I like the broad network that ATP has with airlines to fast track careers to start flying for the majors (United Aviates, Sun Country fast track, etc.). This is attractive to me especially because I am starting my career a tad bit late. After college I went overseas to play professional basketball. I am about to turn 24 and I have 2 years left on my contract before I will most likely return to the US and start flight school at around age 26 (not terribly late, but enough to get me to want to move a bit faster). Anyways, my question is, I know a lot of the fast track programs travel to different locations to talk to and recruit students (For example I saw the United Aviate Program recently visited the Phoenix ATP location). I wanted to know if certain ATP locations have higher probabilities of connecting their students with these fast track programs? My family lives in Dallas so I would probably train in one of the three locations in the DFW area, but I would be more than happy to relocate to a different location if it would increase the odds of me getting into one of the fast track programs.

Thank you so much for the help!

Heath,
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here. It’s never too late to get in to this amazing career. You’ve got the right idea though, embarking on the fastest most efficient path to the right seat of an airliner. As for your question, it doesn’t matter what location you choose. The same opportunities are available to every student at every ATP location. Simply chose the one that is most convenient for you and provide the best environment for you to be successful. When certain programs visit locations, it’s just to get information out there so they often visit the biggest locations.
-Hannah

1 Like

Heath,

First off you’re far from starting late. The average age for starts is early 30s so you’re way ahead of many new pilots.

Second, think of ATP locations like McDonald’s. You can get the same Big Mac from coast to coast. ATP works really hard to provide the same level of training throughout the network as well as the opportunities for advancement.

If Dallas works best for you go there.

Adam

1 Like

Ok that makes sense. So training at the bigger locations and being present for the visits does not necessarily give a trainee the upper hand in being accepted to one of the programs?

Oh awesome! I didn’t realize I’m not as late to the game as I thought. That’s good to hear!

Makes sense. Thank you for the quick reply!

1 Like

Heath,

Welcome to the forums. Your ability to get picked up by one of the cadet programs is in no way dependent on your raining location. While certain, larger locations, might see more visiting road shows from various regional airlines, this will have zero impact on your ability to apply for these programs and potentially get picked up by one. I would pick the location that is most convenient for you and not think twice about it.

Chris

1 Like

Heath,

Regardless of the location you train at, we are all given the same opportunity. All opportunities for Airline Partnerships are available online on ATP’s website. I know many instructors who interview at carriers that don’t get to physically meet their recruitment staff. ATP works hard to ensure that instructors at each location are standardized and performing the same instruction across the board.

Choose a location that fits you, whether it’s living arrangements, or you want a new adventure.

Brady

1 Like

Alright that makes sense. Thanks Chris!

Ok will do thank you!

Any time. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

1 Like