Clarification on ATP's Flight Training Timeline

Hi all!
I was looking through ATP’s website and came across this timeline below.

However, once you obtain your CPL/finish CFI academy, is that the stage when you would begin working on your 1500 hours (about 2 years)? And then once you’ve obtained 1500 hours, you can begin your ATP CTP course?

I am just a bit confused, for the timeline makes it seem like one would directly go into ATP CTP training once they have finished their multi engine rating. I would appreciate if you could clarify this.

Thank you!

1 Like

Ronald,

You are reading the timeline correctly. You will go directly to ATP CTP training at the end of the program. ATP-CTP certificates never expire, so there is no harm in doing it prior to reaching 1,500 hours. In fact, it is easier as that way once you hit 1,500 hours, you are eligible to take the actual ATP check ride.

Chris

Chris, that makes more sense. So when I finish the program (and assuming I pass), I would be a holding ATP-CTP training certificates? But I am ineligible to take the ATP check ride yet, for I have not gained the 1500 hours yet?

I am also curious, after the years that I will be gaining hours (as a CFI, corporate, charter pilot, etc.) do I come back to ATP Flight School to take the check ride?

Ronald,

Yes, your understanding is stop on.

You could come back to ATP Flight School to get your ATP (that is what I did), https://atpflightschool.com/atp/flight/ but if you go to the regional airlines, the vast majority of them will provide the ATP check ride for you as part of your initial training.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

Thank you for that information!

I’ve been reading around and heard some graduates would send their resume to ATP and then ATP would use their connections to regional airlines and forward that resume to the airlines. When would this stage occur through the flight training process?

Ronald,

ATP does have partnerships with several airlines. Prior to covid, many of them would solicit resumes at 500 hours, even interview pilots and offer conditional job offers, then of course higher them once they got to 1,500 hours. Note that this happened during the time build phase and not during training. It remains to be seen what form hiring will take after Covid, but I suspect it will be similar. https://atpflightschool.com/airlines/

The ATP Alumni Association also offers a Career Placement service. www.atpalumni.org

Chris

1 Like